Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The web server questions
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat The web server questions Post 302987212 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 7th of December 2016 05:37:57 AM
Old 12-07-2016
It depends what you want to achieve. There is the LAMP style of server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl) that performs a specific role with direct database access (sort of) through the web-server or you may prefer to go for the 3-tier model. One server with the web-server/application, one with the database and one with 'the middle tier', typically a message queuing service, (e.g. IBMs MQ, Oracle's AQ) and worker processes to move messages and trigger processing according to the messages passed.

The latter works best where there are multiple databases to be queried, typically after company merger where a single front-end is required. it takes more to set up but is more flexible afterwards.

What is you eventual goal?

Robin

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic web pages for Unix Web Server

Hi, my company is considering a new development of our web site, which used to run on Apachi over Solaris. The company who is going to do this for us knows only about developing it in ASP. I guess this means we'll have to have another ISS server on NT for these dynamic pages :( What are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Web browser and web server for Unix

Hi there all I am looking for both a web browser as well as a web server (Ie. Netscape Fasttrack) that will run on HPUX 10. If you know where I can get these free via FTP, please contact me as soon as possible!! Thanks, Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mleathers
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Web Server - uploading Frontpage web - will there be problems??

hiya All, New to this Web site stuff. Will be installing Fedora's latest O/S (including Apache) - onto a spare PC Then... Gulp... setting up a Web server. Designing a Web site using WINDOWS FRONT PAGE 2002: * Simply easiest/quickiest way to knock up a basic site. * There won't be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

Questions Regarding Upgrading To New Version Of Apache Web Server

In September 2010, HP released the following bulletin: Subject: End of Support Life for “Apache version 2.0 along with WSS version 2.x” on 11iv2 and 11iv3. Reference: http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2​/notices/082010Apache.pdf I have some questions about this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
4 Replies
CAMPING(1)							   User Commands							CAMPING(1)

NAME
camping - small Ruby web framework for MVC type applications SYNOPSIS
camping app1.rb app2.rb... DESCRIPTION
Camping is a web framework which consistently stays at less than 4kb of code. The idea here is to store a complete fledgling web applica- tion (written in Ruby) in a single file like many small CGIs, but to organize it as a Model-View-Controller application like Rails does. You can then easily move it to Rails once you've got it going. Specific options: -h, --host HOSTNAME Host for web server to bind to (default is all IPs) -p, --port NUM Port for web server (defaults to 3301) -d, --database FILE SQLite3 database path (defaults to ~/.camping.db) -C, --console Run in console mode with IRB -s, --server NAME Server to force (mongrel, webrick, console) Common options: -?, --help Show this message -v, --version Show version FILES
~/.camping.db The default database file. SEE ALSO
The Camping website on http://camping.rubyforge.org/. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Paul van Tilburg <paulvt@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). camping 2.0 May 2010 CAMPING(1)