Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I separate a portion of a file name to use grep on? Post 302987049 by RudiC on Sunday 4th of December 2016 05:32:31 AM
Old 12-04-2016
How about - provided you are using bash -
Code:
IFS="_." ARR=( $inputFile )
for IX in ${!ARR[@]}; do echo ${ARR[$IX]}; done
name
cc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate a portion of text file into another file

Hi, I have my input as follows : I have given two entries- From system Mon Aug 1 23:52:47 2005 Source !100000006!: Impact !100000005!: High Status ! 7!: New Last Name+!100000001!: First Name+ !100000003!: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_ksv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep certain portion from the file

Dear Friends, Here I am with another difficulty. I have a flat file from which I wanna grep following pattern. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Statement Date : Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep a portion of the log file

I want to grep a portion of the log file. grepping a particular pattern and including 10 lines before that and after that occurence. grep -n "SomeString Pattern" filename 10 lines before this occurence and 10 lines after that. Please help. Need the simple script not in awk or sed. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sainipardeep
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?)

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running the following ruby script (output follows): >> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c Clouds AND Sun 57/33 - Mostly sunny and cool I want to just grab the "57/33" portion, but that's it. I don't want any other portion of the line. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep line to separate column

Hi friends I have a file like this I want output like this probably in excel sheet . Please help Waiting for reply Thanks a lot (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a portion of line

Mysql log has something like: I want to grep only the portion "ernie-1328697839.1233158" from each line. How to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append portion of a file content to another file when a certain pattern is matching?

Hi ladies and gentleman.. I have two text file with me. I need to replace one of the file content to another file if one both files have a matching pattern. Example: text1.txt: ABCD 1234567,HELLO_WORLDA,HELLO_WORLDB DCBA 3456789,HELLO_WORLDE,HELLO_WORLDF text2.txt: XXXX,ABCD... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananamen
25 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a log file for words listed in separate text file?

Hello, I want to grep a log ("server.log") for words in a separate file ("white-list.txt") and generate a separate log file containing each line that uses a word from the "white-list.txt" file. Putting that in bullet points: Search through "server.log" for lines that contain any word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single grep to multiple strings with separate output per string

I need to grep multiple strings from a particular file. I found the use of egrep "String1|String2|String3" file.txt | wc-l Now what I'm really after is that I need to separate word count per each string found. I am trying to keep it to use the grep only 1 time. Can you guys help ? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD