Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers sed confusion Post 302987038 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 3rd of December 2016 08:07:38 PM
Old 12-03-2016
Not sure what you are after. If you want to used sed to act on the bit of shell code you posted as input file:

Try:
Code:
$ echo 'X=(0 2 4 6 7 0 0 0 0)' | sed 's/\( 0\)\{1,\})/)/'
X=(0 2 4 6 7)

or with -E (BSD sed) or -r (GNU sed)
Code:
$ echo 'X=(0 2 4 6 7 0 0 0 0)' | sed -E 's/( 0)+\)/)/'
X=(0 2 4 6 7)

--
Note: using \n in the replacement part of a substitution (s-command) is a GNU sed only extension.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-03-2016 at 09:17 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help me clear up some confusion

Hello All, I like this forum btw, and have only been lurking for about a day. Recently I purchased some new hardware (AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and a Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard), and I want to find an OS that can take advantage of the 64 bit processor. Basically, what are the differences... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoY_mUnSoN
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

confusion with export

Hi, I have written the following two scripts. a.ksh ---> FPATH=/users/kushard autoload b b echo "From a.ksh::" $aa b ---> function b { typeset aa aa="TRUE." echo "From b::" $aa export aa } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdipankar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed confusion

Hello all, I am trying to delete all the lines in a particular file having a pattern. The problem is that it has special characters and for some reason is not doing the job. For eg. src_file /home/test/filelist.txt :xxxx:ogog /home/test/RCH/ogogogg /home/test/RYHUJ/HHHH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab confusion

I come across an entry in cron which is in such: 0 * * * * What is the first 0 indicating? 0 minute? meaning a script cron as such will run every minute? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user50210
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Server Confusion

I don't even know where to start with this one. There is so much out there about different aspects of this. I am starting with a basic Ubuntu 11.04 install. Do I need to configure a DNS? I am a little confused about that. What do I need to do for a domain name? I have followed various tutorials,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: polyglot0727
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with the concept of wc -c and wc -m

Is wc -c and wc -m same ? Shellscript::cat file1 hello Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -c 6 Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -m 6 Shellscript::file file1 file1: ASCII text Shellscript::uname -a Linux was85host 2.6.27.45-0.1-vmi #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/LinuxAtleast... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripting
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed multilines + separator confusion !!

Hi Seders, i am new to this forum, but i think it's quite the best place to post. So, here is my pb : I have a csv file, with comma separator and text enclosed by ". First pb is with text in " ......... ", wich sometimes includes lines break, and commas And to complicate a little more,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeek
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)