Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Hidden characters when pasting in vi/vim Post 302986940 by RudiC on Friday 2nd of December 2016 11:16:26 AM
Old 12-02-2016
It generally is not a good idea to edit *nix configuration files on windows systems, and even less so with WORD, as it will stuff the file with formatting info on top of MS's DOS line terminators (\r or 0x0D) found in any text files.
Use text editors instead, of which some can be switched to "UNIX" mode, so you wouldn't need to worry.
You're best off if you edit text files intended for *nix systems on the target host.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

missing hidden characters

I made a small change to a UNIX script. When I tried to run it I received the following message: /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found As ^M is a non printing character, I don't know how to discover where it is missing. How can I correct thiis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SUSANR9999
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hidden Characters

Hello all, I have two files, that I suspect may contain hidden characters (EG, three spaces instead of a tab). Does anyone know of any tool that can display this (I have tried using diff, but I'm not quite sure it would do the job) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hidden Characters

Hello All, I'm trying to parse through a file and display all the hidden characters, including all carriage and line returns. I usually use cat -v, but this doesn't display the carriage and line returns. Does anyone know how this can be done? Thanks Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hidden characters added to commands

Hello everybody. Im really new in shell scripting. Im working with RedHat 4. I have begin to do some scripts to test the posibilitys but Im fancing a disturbing problem. some times the lines that I write add the return character or end-of-file ascii character to the command or argument tha... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josebenitez
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see hidden characters.....

I know that cat -v will show me hidden characters in a file.... I for some reason seem to think that there's a bash command that will show me hidden characters in a variable in a script? Or am I just imagining it? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh hidden characters in variables

Hi. I'm getting the following hidden characters \uat the start of a string after I pass in variables from the command line. I only noticed this when I set -x in my KSH script. Can anybody tell me how this happens and how to remove them? Many thanks. + STR=$'\uusername testuser1' + print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
12 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities) It also changes the permissions of the remote user's home, ~/.ssh, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys to remove group writability (which would oth- erwise prevent you from logging in, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration). If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary) SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)