Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Issues with sorting in reverse order Post 302986891 by rbatte1 on Thursday 1st of December 2016 11:20:47 AM
Old 12-01-2016
I afraid I don't see the problem:-
Code:
$ cat summary.txt ; echo
banana.jpg
pear.jpg
tomato.jpg
apple.jpg
cucumber.png
yam.docx

$ sort -r summary.txt 
yam.docx
tomato.jpg
pear.jpg
cucumber.png
banana.jpg
apple.jpg
$

What am I missing Smilie

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a field, but with reverse order

Hi Everyone, I have one a.txt: a b 001 c b b 002 c c c, not 002 c The output should be 001 002 002 If i use cut -f 3 -d' ', this does not work on the 3rd line, so i thought is any way to cut the field counting from the end? or any perl thing can do this?:confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields in reverse order?

i am having lines like below seperated by "|" (pipe) abc|xyz 123|567 i have to get the above in reverse order xyz|abc 567|123 Pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing fields in reverse order

command/script(apart from awk) to print the fields in reverse order that is last field has to come first and so on and first field has to go last Input store-id date sale ............. ............. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in reverse order

Hi, I want to print the item in reverse order such that the output would look like 00 50 50 23 40 22 02 96 Below is the input: 00 05 05 32 04 22 20 69 Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting strings in reverse order

Hello, I have a large database of words and would like them sorted in reverse order i.e. from the end up. An example will make this clear: I have tried to write a program in Perl which basically takes the string from the end and tries to sort from that end but it does not seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete records in reverse order

Hi all, i have dynamic file 'xyz.txt', records always look likes below format ... 0000021 RET 31-MAR-1984 FAP 0000021 DTA 14-JAN-2003 CNV 0000021 DTA 25-MAR-2012 DTA 0000021 DTA 26-MAR-2012 DTA ################################################# 0000021 DTA ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)