Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Issues with sorting in reverse order Post 302986858 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 30th of November 2016 05:03:56 PM
Old 11-30-2016
It is nice to know that what you are doing isn't working, but if we don't know what you are trying to do it is hard to guess at how to fix it.

You are currently taking multiple lists of files sorted by decreasing file size and then sorting them together in reverse alphanumeric order.

What are you trying to do?

It is also a good idea to tell us what operating system and shell you're using.

Does one of the following come close to what you're trying to do?
Code:
ls -Sr folder*/ > ~/Desktop/summary.txt

(which gives you each of your directories with files within each directory sorted by decreasing size) or:
Code:
ls -Srd folder*/* > ~/Desktop/summary.txt

(which gives you all of the files in all of those directories in one list sorted by decreasing size).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a field, but with reverse order

Hi Everyone, I have one a.txt: a b 001 c b b 002 c c c, not 002 c The output should be 001 002 002 If i use cut -f 3 -d' ', this does not work on the 3rd line, so i thought is any way to cut the field counting from the end? or any perl thing can do this?:confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields in reverse order?

i am having lines like below seperated by "|" (pipe) abc|xyz 123|567 i have to get the above in reverse order xyz|abc 567|123 Pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing fields in reverse order

command/script(apart from awk) to print the fields in reverse order that is last field has to come first and so on and first field has to go last Input store-id date sale ............. ............. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in reverse order

Hi, I want to print the item in reverse order such that the output would look like 00 50 50 23 40 22 02 96 Below is the input: 00 05 05 32 04 22 20 69 Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting strings in reverse order

Hello, I have a large database of words and would like them sorted in reverse order i.e. from the end up. An example will make this clear: I have tried to write a program in Perl which basically takes the string from the end and tries to sort from that end but it does not seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete records in reverse order

Hi all, i have dynamic file 'xyz.txt', records always look likes below format ... 0000021 RET 31-MAR-1984 FAP 0000021 DTA 14-JAN-2003 CNV 0000021 DTA 25-MAR-2012 DTA 0000021 DTA 26-MAR-2012 DTA ################################################# 0000021 DTA ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies
dlasrt.f(3)							      LAPACK							       dlasrt.f(3)

NAME
dlasrt.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine dlasrt (ID, N, D, INFO) DLASRT Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine dlasrt (characterID, integerN, double precision, dimension( * )D, integerINFO) DLASRT Purpose: Sort the numbers in D in increasing order (if ID = 'I') or in decreasing order (if ID = 'D' ). Use Quick Sort, reverting to Insertion sort on arrays of size <= 20. Dimension of STACK limits N to about 2**32. Parameters: ID ID is CHARACTER*1 = 'I': sort D in increasing order; = 'D': sort D in decreasing order. N N is INTEGER The length of the array D. D D is DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N) On entry, the array to be sorted. On exit, D has been sorted into increasing order (D(1) <= ... <= D(N) ) or into decreasing order (D(1) >= ... >= D(N) ), depending on ID. INFO INFO is INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Definition at line 89 of file dlasrt.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 dlasrt.f(3)