Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge multiple tab delimited files with index checking Post 302986781 by RudiC on Wednesday 30th of November 2016 06:52:25 AM
Old 11-30-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem
The script below was kindly suggested by Chubler_XL. I believe it would work for what I need but the output has the id column out of order and includes many blank rows interspersed with data.
What if you pipe the output through a sort operation?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple commands TAB delimited

Hey guys... Running Solaris 5.6, trying to write an easy /sbin/sh script. I want to run several commands, then have the results appear on one line. Additionally, I want the results to be separated by <TAB>. Let's say that my script calls three commands (date, pwd, and hostname), I would want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with Tab-Delimited files

I have a tab-Delimited file: Eg: 'test' file contains: a<tab>b<tab>c<tab>.... Based on certain condition, I wanna increase the number of lines of this file.How do I do that Eg: If some value in the database is 1 then one line in 'test' file is fine.. If some value in the database is 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two text files of different size on common index

I have two text files. text file 1: ID filePath col1 col2 col3 1 10584588.mol 269.126 190.958 23.237 2 10584549.mol 281.001 200.889 27.7414 3 10584511.mol 408.824 158.316 29.8561 4 10584499.mol 245.632 153.241 25.2815 5 10584459.mol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two tab delimited file with exact same number of rows in unix/linux

Hi I have two tab delimited file with different number of columns but same number of rows. I need to combine these two files in such a way that row 1 in file 2 comes adjacent to row 1 in file 1. For example: The content of file1: field1 field2 field3 a1 a2 a3 b1 b2 b3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to merge two files on an index

I have a need to merge two files on the value of an index column. input file 1 id filePath MDL_NUMBER 1 MFCD00008104.mol MFCD00008104 2 MFCD00012849.mol MFCD00012849 3 MFCD00037597.mol MFCD00037597 4 MFCD00064558.mol MFCD00064558 5 MFCD00064559.mol MFCD00064559 input file 2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a header record (tab delimited) in multiple files

Hi Forum. I'm struggling to find a solution for the following issue. I have multiple files a1.txt, a2.txt, a3.txt, etc. and I would like to insert a tab-delimited header record at the beginning of each of the files. This is my code so far but it's not working as expected. for i in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX - 2 tab delimited files, conditional column extraction

Please know that I am very new to unix and trying to learn 'on the job'. I'm only manipulating large tab-delimited files (millions of rows), but I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed with the following. Hoping for some friendly advice :) I have 2 tab-delimited files - with differing column &... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GTed
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match tab-delimited files based on key

I thought I had this figured out but was wrong so am humbly asking for help. The task is to add an additional column to FILE 1 based on records in FILE 2. The key is in COLUMN 1 for FILE 1 and in COLUMN 1 OR COLUMN 2 for FILE 2. I want to add the third column from FILE 2 to the beginning of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
8 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)