Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Does this hardware works with Linux Post 302986374 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of November 2016 11:00:46 AM
Old 11-24-2016
Linux's relationship with hardware is very different than the relationship of Microsoft with hardware vendors. Linux doesn't know, or even care really, what model a motherboard is. It just scans the plug-and-play bus to get the list of devices, and checks whether it has drivers for them or not. This has always meant that "compatibility lists" for Linux are going to be very incomplete. Without buying and testing every possible motherboard on the planet, how would we ever know?

There is probably at least partial support for most PC hardware on the market, though, and workarounds for a lot of the rest, or eventual fixes. The biggest showstoppers are liable to be graphics related, as the drivers for those are always going to be proprietary, it seems, and fixes mean "bugging the vendor for a new version". Search for these motherboard models plus "linux" or "ubuntu" to see if any linux users have reported problems and/or workarounds for them. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but until some other linux user buys it and tries it out and reports their success or failure, conclusive evidence will be scarce to none.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-24-2016 at 12:06 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works on Solaris, not on Linux

I'm in the same boat as Barbus - same exercis (https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/43609-processes-users.html) The following script works on a solaris server I have access to. It doesn't however, work on the companies Linux machine. Any idea what's up? I have very little shell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Silverhood
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works on Solaris, not on Linux

I'm in the same boat as Barbus - same exercis (https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/43609-processes-users.html) The following script works on a solaris server I have access to. It doesn't however, work on the companies Linux machine. Any idea what's up? I have very little shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Silverhood
1 Replies

3. Programming

fcntl works in linux but not in mac os x

Hi, Unless I am missing some serious differences in Mac and linux in terms of C programming, I dont know why this would happen. Please take a look at the following piece of code fragment: bool add_input_to_db(Cons *new_data) { // Set the attributes of the lock struct flock fl =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhere
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux on custom hardware

I would like to configure a bare minimum Linux with internet browser on a system with Flash & RAM (but no harddisk or any other nonvolatile storage). Please advise. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rherb
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -F works on Linux, but not on Solaris

Hello, I found this command works on Linux: $ echo `uptime` | awk -F "load average: " '{ print $2 }' 1.60, 1.53, 1.46 but got error on Solaris: $ echo `uptime` | awk -F "load average: " '{ print $2 }' awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 $ which awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seafan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed works on Linux and Unix does not work

Hi, I use this command in Linux but if I run the same command does not work in freebsd. Follow the below command: Linux works: sed -e '1731a\' -e '####' squid.conf > squid2.conf ; sed -e '1731a\' -e 'acl TESTE_ip src 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.255' squid2.conf > squid.conf ; sed -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreirp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works with Linux not with Solaris

Hi I have the following script which works in Linux shell but gives issues with Sun OS Solaris 5.10, What i am trying to achieve here is we have a list of file names in list.txt file and we parse each file at a time for a particular pattern and copt next 4 lines after we hit the pattern to a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yugendra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why statement works in LINUX and not UNIX?

Hello, I have a ksh script that uses code below. For some reason it works under linux but fails in unix. Any idea why? if ]; then ... Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
9 Replies
AIBS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   AIBS(4)

NAME
aibs -- ASUSTeK AI Booster ACPI ATK0110 voltage, temperature and fan sensor SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device acpi device aibs Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): acpi_load="YES" aibs_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The aibs driver provides support for the voltage, temperature and fan sensors available through the ATK0110 ASOC ACPI device on ASUSTeK moth- erboards. The number of sensors of each type, as well as the description of each sensor, varies according to the motherboard. The driver supports an arbitrary set of sensors, provides descriptions regarding what each sensor is used for, and reports the current values as well as the supposed range specifications of each sensor's input as defined by the motherboard manufacturer through ACPI. The range specifications are as follows: o Voltage sensors have a lower and an upper range specification. o Temperature sensors have two upper specifications. o Fan sensors may either have only the lower specification, or, depending on the DSDT, one lower and one upper specification. Sensor readings and the range specifications are made available through the sysctl(3) interface, and can be monitored with sysctl(8). For example, on an ASUS V3-P5G965 barebone: > sysctl dev.aibs.0.{volt,temp,fan} dev.aibs.0.volt.0: 1192 850 1600 dev.aibs.0.volt.1: 3312 2970 3630 dev.aibs.0.volt.2: 5017 4500 5500 dev.aibs.0.volt.3: 12302 10200 13800 dev.aibs.0.temp.0: 28.0C 80.0C 95.0C dev.aibs.0.temp.1: 55.0C 60.0C 95.0C dev.aibs.0.fan.0: 878 600 7200 dev.aibs.0.fan.1: 0 700 7200 > sysctl -d dev.aibs.0.{volt,temp,fan} dev.aibs.0.volt: dev.aibs.0.volt.0: Vcore Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.1: +3.3 Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.2: +5 Voltage dev.aibs.0.volt.3: +12 Voltage dev.aibs.0.temp: dev.aibs.0.temp.0: CPU Temperature dev.aibs.0.temp.1: MB Temperature dev.aibs.0.fan: dev.aibs.0.fan.0: CPU FAN Speed dev.aibs.0.fan.1: CHASSIS FAN Speed Generally, sensors provided by the aibs driver may also be supported by certain other drivers or utilities that access the ISA / LPC or I2C / SMBus devices directly. The precise collection of aibs sensors is comprised of the sensors specifically utilised in the motherboard design, which may be supported through a combination of one or more physical hardware monitoring chips. The aibs driver, however, provides the following advantages when compared to the native hardware monitoring drivers or other utilities: o Sensor values from aibs are expected to be more reliable. For example, voltage sensors in many hardware monitoring chips can only sense voltage from 0 to 2 or 4 volts, and the excessive voltage is removed by the resistors, which may vary with the motherboard and with the voltage that is being sensed. In aibs, the required resistor factors are provided by the motherboard manufacturer through ACPI; in the native drivers, the resistor factors are encoded into the driver based on the chip manufacturer's recommendations. In essence, sensor values from aibs are very likely to be identical to the readings from the Hardware Monitor screen in the BIOS. o Sensor descriptions from aibs are more likely to match the markings on the motherboard. o Sensor range specifications are supported by aibs. The range specification is reported for each individual sensor as suggested by the motherboard manufacturer. For example, the threshold for the CPU temperature sensor is likely to be significantly higher than that for the chassis temperature sensor. o Support for newer chips in aibs. Newer chips may miss a native driver, but should be supported through aibs regardless. SEE ALSO
sysctl(3), acpi(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The aibs driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.7, DragonFly 2.5, NetBSD 6.0 and FreeBSD 9.0. An earlier version of the driver, acpi_aiboost, first appeared in FreeBSD 7.0 and NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The aibs driver was written for OpenBSD, DragonFly, NetBSD and FreeBSD by Constantine A. Murenin <cnst@FreeBSD.org>, Raouf Boutaba Research Group, David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo. An earlier version of the driver, named acpi_aiboost, was written for FreeBSD by Takanori Watanabe. BSD
April 4, 2010 BSD