Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep: line too long error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep: line too long error Post 302985990 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 17th of November 2016 09:53:46 PM
Old 11-17-2016
sysconf LINE_MAX will show the line limit for UNIX tools. It used to be a default 2048 bytes on older systems,.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error 0403-016 Cannot find or open the file while reading a long line

Hi, I have an requirement of reading a long line of 7000 chars and cutting it iam doing this : while read -r x do echo $x ......... done < `cat filename` when iam doing this it is giving me "0403-016 Cannot find or open the file." Can anyone let how this can be done. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthee
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : search a long char contain space

Hi, i have to search for a char like that : export var1="i am not happy /not happy" with a command like : grep $var1 file but this not working with me !!! thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tizilfin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

a better way to grep until end of error message, although most seem to be 1 or 2 line

My file creates an output log after which includes a few sql queries. I segregate them into warnings and errors and then get a total count. The errors' and warnings' lines always start with SQL{4} followed by the details of the error. This is what im doing as o now... errors=`grep -A 1 -E... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: VGR
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/matching help with long listing of directories

How do I get this to work? cat somefile | grep "-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~" This is the the desired output -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~ I basically want an exact match of the line I am grepping for, the special characters and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep long line

I am trying to get the count of a word from an xml using the below command grep "search word" -c test.xml The result is only 1, because my xml contains only one line (hule line- several thousand characters). I guess grep command will process for only 128 characters for each line. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky23
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi : Line too Long Error

Hi ! I am woking on Solaris 5.10 and face a problem sometimes when i try to open files in the vi editor . Sometime when the file is big i am not able to view the file in vi and i get the error like I guess vi have some line size setting and if the lines are ,longer than that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paarth
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the line with error where keyword in next line is known.

If a file consists of a thousands of line. There is a error line in the file which exists just before the line with word "Manish". How could I write a script to grep the line with error. Ex:- If I have a UNIX file which contains the following: bash-3.2$ cat unix.txt Unix (officially... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : Argument list too long

Hi, i am having some trouble with the below command, can some one suggest me the better way to do it. grep -l 'ReturnCode=1' `find $Log -newer /tmp/Failed.tmp -print | xargs ls -ld | egrep SUB | egrep -ve 'MTP' -ve 'ABC' -ve 'DEF' -ve 'JKL' -ve 'XYZ' | awk '{print $9}'` > $Home1 Its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor Line too Long Error

My file is 13 mb but it has big long lines. i tried in vain vi -R filename I tried in vainbash: vim: command not found SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4vCan you please suggest? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit - get and set user limits SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, long newlimit); DESCRIPTION
Warning: This routine is obsolete. Use getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), and sysconf(3) instead. For the shell command ulimit(), see bash(1). The ulimit() call will get or set some limit for the calling process. The cmd argument can have one of the following values. UL_GETFSIZE Return the limit on the size of a file, in units of 512 bytes. UL_SETFSIZE Set the limit on the size of a file. 3 (Not implemented for Linux.) Return the maximum possible address of the data segment. 4 (Implemented but no symbolic constant provided.) Return the maximum number of files that the calling process can open. RETURN VALUE
On success, ulimit() returns a nonnegative value. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM A unprivileged process tried to increase a limit. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 marks ulimit() as obsolete. SEE ALSO
bash(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), sysconf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-08-06 ULIMIT(3)