Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Process lose its parent then consume high CPU usage ... Post 302985821 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 15th of November 2016 04:33:54 PM
Old 11-15-2016
IS the stack dumpfrom the process running out of control? I do not think so - as agent_kgb said, the process should end on an exit() call. Process running amok just crank cpu until somebody kills it.

It definitely is a user training issue. Closing the desktop window will cause a SIGHUP to be sent to the UNIX processes. The process you are seeing is probably forked over to whatever the informix user has, not the original user account. Check the owning username to be sure. It affects where to look for code that is trapping the SIGHUP signal. Which your problem seems to be - a guess.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to know which process consume CPU time more

Hi, I have problem like everyday i have to check which process consuming more cpu time. I have done it manually using top command.. Is there any script which will tell the exact process name which will consuming more time. I am using hpux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Why CPU idle 0 process nohub lose

Hello Solaris 8 when CPU idle 0 . why nohub process lose ? Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppmanja
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

High System CPU Usage

I am running a Dell PE R815 with 4 x AMD 12 core CPUs with 128GB of RAM and a RAID 5 array of 6 SAS disks. This is an HPC application and is definitely CPU bound, however once I run 16 of these processes (thus pinning 16 cores) the work performed slows down dramatically, to maybe 5 or 10% of what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mowmentous
2 Replies

4. AIX

HELP!!! high CPU usage with ITM kuxagent

ibm tivoli monitor's kuxagent is taking up a lot of cpu usage. anybody has any idea? i attatched a screenshot. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtis911
3 Replies

5. Linux

System Went panic after CPU usage high

Hi All, Yesterday my Linux server went panic and even a small command took a lot of time to run. When i monitored pl find the below output Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 98.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 1.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st the time spent on kernel mode is 98 % and also idle time is around 1.5 %...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

6. AIX

Wait time shows high CPU usage

Hi, I can't seem to make sense of this. My wait time is showing really high but vmstat's and topas are showing normal usage. ps aux USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 9961810 5680.7 0.0 448 384 - A Dec 16 6703072:12 wait ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techy1
2 Replies

7. AIX

High CPU Usage , users affected

Dear All, One production Server is affected by high usage. Application is slow now. Please guide me how to solve it? NMON Report shows full cpu usage. Here im posting some server details. bash-3.2# lparstat -i Node Name : ********* Partition Name ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

High cpu usage

I have created one script and i have added it into cron to run after 10 mins. However I have noted that whenever that script runs, It causes CPU utilization of server to increase about 10-20 % I have rechecked script and there is no way i can make changes, Script contain only 2-3 commands. So... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How can i restrict user high cpu usage?

HI In my M5000 , one of domain is having SAp installed. from today onwards we are facing some stange issue. when we start SAP application, that particular user is taking 95 % of system CP and renaming 5 % is taken by system . because of this reason application is slow. i have 4 CPU(32... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server showing high Sys% CPU usage

Hi Fellas, Not sure how I can dig in even further but we notice that one of our DB servers is showing high Sys% CPU usage even though when I execute the following command : I can see that postgres is the only one using the CPU. So if anyone can advise me what would be the best way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
3 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z,--context pattern] [-e,--exact] [-g,--process-group] [-i,--interactive] [-q,--quiet] [-r,--regexp] [-s,--signal signal] [-u,--user user] [-v,--verbose] [-w,--wait] [-I,--ignore-case] [-V,--version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V,--version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP ) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belong- ing to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as an extended regular expression. -s, --signal Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given expended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. AUTHORS
Werner Almesberger <werner@almesberger.net> wrote the original version of psmisc. Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.drop- bear.id.au> can be blamed. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2). Linux 2007-08-09 KILLALL(1)