Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Mail command not working for Long Email Address with Dashes Post 302985637 by Phil44 on Sunday 13th of November 2016 11:24:57 AM
Old 11-13-2016
I'm not authorized to see the maillog file so I don't know if there are any errors in it. However, I have put in an incident with our in-house Linux admin and I have asked him to look at it. I also ran the mail command in Verbose mode (-v switch) but the Mail Delivery Report looked good to me. Is it possible that the operating system percieves the dashes in the email address as an attempt to use a metacharacter instead of a character that is part of the actual email address?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command not working

hi all I am not able to send mail from unix box to my mail id. do i need to do any settings for that? when i issue this command:- mail -s "letter" <abc.txt the $ pompt goes away and the unix is on wait state. what should I do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command not working

Hi I am trying to runmail command to send some text to my email id. But its getting hanged up. Not sure what is the problem. Please help. mail -s "testing" abc@somearess.com Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Command line mail taking too long to send; unable to qualify my own domain name

Hello, I'm having a problem with my mail. When I send mail, it takes a long time for the send to complete. In the below, datestamp is just a simple script to put in a no-white-space date/time stamp. $ datestamp ; mail woodnt; datestamp 02-05-10@193844 Subject: test timer Cc: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Script to query Active Directory: give cn (NT login name) and receive mail (Email address)

Hi folks I need to write UNIX script (with ldapsearch) to query Active Directory. Input is NT login name and output is Email address. Attached a screenshot of Sysinternals "AD Explorer". I need to do the same in CLI. http://i.imgur.com/4s6FB.png I am absolute LDAP/ldapsearch noob. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to change sender email address in mail -s command

Just having trouble trying to figure out what the option is. When I do mail -s "Subject" someuser@example.com I can't seem to specify "from" or "sender" option as I need it for my task. I tried using --f or -f though it didn't work. Can someone please tell me what other option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Send an email using mail command

Hello all I'm trying to write a script to send an email, so I can be nnotified when something is going wrong with my system. I've tried many options with no luck: mail -s "You've got mail" somebody@example.com echo "Mail Body" | mail -s "Subject" somebody@example.com I tried also to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
1 Replies

9. BSD

mail command is not working

Hi, Mail command is not working. mail -s "hello" abc@google.com < samplefile I am new to BSD.what do i need to do? Please help. Thnaks, Gita. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gita
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the sender's name or E-mail address in mutt command

Can any one help me in this ??? How to change sender's name or email address in Mutt command??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathi
4 Replies
Agent::Driver::Mail(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Agent::Driver::Mail(3pm)

NAME
Log::Agent::Driver::Mail - email driver for Log::Agent SYNOPSIS
use Log::Agent; require Log::Agent::Driver::Mail; my $driver = Log::Agent::Driver::Mail->make( -to => 'oncall@example.org', -cc => [ qw( noc@example.org admin@example,net ) ], -subject => "ALERT! ALERT!", -mailer => [ 'smtp', Server => 'mail.example.net' ] ); logconfig(-driver => $driver); DESCRIPTION
This driver maps the logxxx() calls to email messages. Each call generates a separate email message. The Mail::Mailer module is required. CONSTRUCTOR
make OPTIONS The OPTIONS argument is a hash with the following keys: -prefix An optional prefix for the message body. -to The destination addresses, may be a scalar containing a valid email address or a reference to an array of addresses. -reply_to The reply-to addresses, may be a scalar containing a valid email address or a reference to an array of addresses. -from The source address, must be a scalar containing a valid email address. -subject The subject line of the email message. -cc The carbon copy addresses, may be a scalar containing a valid email address or a reference to an array of addresses. -bcc The blind carbon copy addresses, may be a scalar containing a valid email address or a reference to an array of addresses. -priority The priority level for the email message. This is NOT related to the logging priority. -mailer A reference to an array containing the optional arguments to Mail::Mailer->new(). Generally, this can be omitted. NOTES
Thanks to Shirley Wang for the idea for this module. AUTHOR
Mark Rogaski <mrogaski@pobox.com> LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2002 Mark Rogaski; all rights reserved. See Log::Agent(3) or the README file included with the distribution for license information. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mailer, Log::Agent::Driver(3), Log::Agent(3). perl v5.10.0 2002-05-12 Agent::Driver::Mail(3pm)