Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arguments in variable vs direct string Post 302985488 by break_da_funk on Thursday 10th of November 2016 07:07:23 AM
Old 11-10-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
That is double interpretation. It is equivalent to
Code:
eval /.arguments_count.sh "$my_args"

Which has the same security concerns unless you are in control of the input..
Thank You. Eval also solves the problem.

Quote:

----

Hi Bakunin, this would offer no different result, since the since the unquoted variable expansion of my_args would still be subjected to field splitting into 7 arguments:

Code:
$ printf "%s\n" $my_args
a
b
c
\'d
e\'
f
g

Last edited by RudiC; 11-10-2016 at 08:22 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining string arguments

Hi, how can I join given arguments (not starting from the first one) to form one string, each argument separated by a space. For example, out of 5 given arguments, I'll like to start joining from the 3rd to the last. In python there exists something like ' '.join(sys.argv) and it starts joining... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plhelpme
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call arguments with variable in a script??

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to call arguments passed to a script using a variable. For example: sh script.sh yes no good bad x=$# while do echo (last argument, then second last etc until first argument) let x=($x-1) done should print out bad good no (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VanK
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make bash wrapper for java/groovy program with variable length arguments lists?

The following bash script does not work because the java/groovy code always thinks there are four arguments even if there are only 1 or 2. As you can see from my hideous backslashes, I am using cygwin bash on windows. export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print arguments with the help of variable

Let's say I want to print the arguments $4 till $#, how can I do this? $# contains the number of arguments $@ contain all the arguments as string What i need is something like for i in $4_till_$#; do #do something with $i convert $i ~/$output done The first 3 arguments are used as options... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation in arguments

Hi all, I have a requirement where I am taking the first argument as argument name and storing the second argument in argument name as value. Thanks to ppl here, i learnt to do it.:p while ( $1 != "" ) set arg = $1 shift set val = "$1" echo "set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing command line arguments from string list

I am passing a list of strings $list and want to remove all entries with --shift=number, --sort=number/number/..., --group=number/number/... Also are removed whether upper or lower case letters are used For example the following will all be deleted from the list --shift=12 --shift=2324... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating sed Direct Input to Direct Output

Hi guys, been scratching round the forums and my mountain of resources. Maybe I havn't read deep enough My question is not how sed edits a stream and outputs it to a file, rather something like this below: I have a .txt with some text in it :rolleyes: abc:123:xyz 123:abc:987... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0nion
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing arguments in a string

Hi The following code works when reading the arguments from the command line but fails when I try to read from a string. So this works while ; do case $1 in -dbversion) if '`" ]; then { echo "ERROR: missing value for '$1' (seen '$2')"; usage; exit 1; } else { shift;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh parsing arguments in a string rather than from the cmdln

Hi. I have a piece of code that reads and parses command line options. I'd like to alter it slightly to read from a string (that's set elsewhere in the script) rather than directly from the command line (arg). Can somebody show me how to do this? Many thanks. My code is as follows: typeset... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD