Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract information from txt file Post 302985365 by greet_sed on Tuesday 8th of November 2016 01:48:42 PM
Old 11-08-2016
Hi,

Hope this helps.

Quote:
man read
One line is read from the standard input, and the first word is assigned to the first name, the second word to the second name, and so on, with leftover words and their intervening separators assigned to the last name
This User Gave Thanks to greet_sed For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract and format information from a file

Hi, Following is sample portion of the file; <JDBCConnectionPool DriverName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver" MaxCapacity="10" Name="MyApp_DevPool" PasswordEncrypted="{3DES}7tXFH69Xg1c=" Properties="user=MYAPP_ADMIN" ShrinkingEnabled="false" ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujoy101
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract from txt file

I have data as follow in the txt file. I want to skip line starting with '#' sign. #command program abc defmt exp refmt ... ... I want to store abc exp .... in a array. I want to store defmt refmt in a array I need command to read each line in the file. I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract numbers from .txt file

I need to extract all the p-value numbers and the rho numbers from a .txt file and write them as coma separated values in a new file. Ideally I would get two files in the end, one for p- values and one for rho. Any suggestions? I appreciate your help!!! The .txt file looks essentially like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eggali
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract various information from a log file

Hye ShamRock If you can help me with this difficult task for me then it will save my day Logs : ================================================================================================================== ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read userid and password information from txt file

Hi Experts, I am writing a shell script (for displaying disk space details) which is logging to 15 different servers using following command. ssh userid@servername It is prompting me for password for all 15 servers when I manually run it. However , soon I would like to schedule this script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to extract all columns except the last few from a txt file

hello, i have publicly available txt file with little less than 300000 rows. i want to extract from column 1 to column 218 and save it in another text file. i use the cut command but the file is saved with multiple rows from the source file onto a single row in the destination. basically it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madrazzii
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i sort a .txt file without loosing the header information?

Hi, I'm trying to sort 2 different .txt tab delimited files with the command line: sort -k 1b,1 inputfile > outputfile But doing that i'm also sorting the header (that ends at the end of my file). How can i sort a .txt file without sorting the header but conserving the header in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisrpp
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract information from a file?

Hi, i have a file like this: <Iteration> <Iteration_iter-num>3</Iteration_iter-num> <Iteration_query-ID>lcl|3_0</Iteration_query-ID> <Iteration_query-def>G383C4U01EQA0A length=197</Iteration_query-def> <Iteration_query-len>197</Iteration_query-len> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract information from file

Gents, If is possible please help. I have a big file (example attached) which contends exactly same value in column, but from column 2 to 6 these values are diff. I will like to compile for all records all columns like the example attached in .csv format (output.rar ).. The last column in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract information from file

In a particular directory, there can be 1000 files like below. filename is job901.ksh #!/bin/ksh cront -x << EOJ submit file=$PRODPATH/scripts/genReport.sh maxdelay=30 &node=xnode01 tname=job901 &pfile1=/prod/mldata/data/test1.dat ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
17 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - Reads a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
read [-r] var... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: read: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Note The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. OPERANDS
The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. DESCRIPTION
The read utility reads a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read prompts for a continuation line in the following cases: The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. A here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. The line is split into fields as in the shell (see the sh(1) reference page); the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var parameters specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var parameters affects the current shell execution environment. If read is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environ- ment: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; NOTES
The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. RESTRICTIONS
The results are undefined if an end-of-file is detected following a backslash at the end of a line when -r is not specified. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
The following command prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of read: Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. Pro- vides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization vari- ables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. SEE ALSO
Commands: line(1) Functions: fread(3) Standards: standards(5) read(1)