Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mail/mailx ignores newline formatting Problem. Post 302985295 by aydj on Tuesday 8th of November 2016 07:05:05 AM
Old 11-08-2016
I have similar issue, see:
Sendmail ignoring line endings

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file based on newline and delimiter characters

Hi Everybody, I need some help on formatting the files coming into unix box on the fly. I get a file some thing like this in a single line. ISA^M00^M ^M00^M ^M14^M006929681900 ^M01^M095449419 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntekupal
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx commannd - Mail and Attachment in same mail

Hi , I am using mailx command for sending the mails. Rightnow I am sending the attachment (by using uuencode $filename) as a seperate mail.I wanna send the attachment also with the same mail. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Mailx command to send mail with attachment

Hi, I am using mailx command to send a mail with attachment. It's working fine, but with attachment I am getting one extra attachment like (ATT00131.txt). I have tried to use unix2dos command also. But still I am getting the extra attachment. I am using the following code: subject="temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswanatharv
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using mailx instead of mail in perl program

I have a perl program that uses the mail program to send emails. It works fine but because I want to change the return address on the emails to be different I need to use mailx with the "-r" option. the problem is when I change this line to use mailx I no longer recieve "any" emails. This works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting data to remove newline

Hi All, I have raw data in the format :- -------------------------------------------------------------------- NUT070 3 ./opc.sh SQLSCRIPT &SID sysdate.sql 20120105 NUW004 3 ./opc.sh SQLSCRIPT &SID sab_supp.sql UNUW032 3 ./opc.sh SQLSCRIPT &SID sab_unsupp.sql... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting not preserved when using mailx

I tried to send email through mailx, the text file is well formatted when i open in unix, but when received the mail in outlook, the column do not align with the heading. The text file contain the tablespace details which I spool out from database. Please advise. Do I need to specify any parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fenocean
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem getting mailx to send true Bcc mail to multiple recipients

I am having trouble getting mailx to send multiple Bcc mails out without everyone in the list of recipients seeing everyone else's email addresses. I looked at the man pages of my system and seem to be following the syntax correctly, but the mails still go out as if I were just putting in a list of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: legrandtimonier
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting for mailx command

Hello all, I am trying to send an email using mailx command. I have a txt file which has formatting like: root@machine# cat /export/home/test/summary.txt T A P O U T - R A T I N G - A U D I T - S U M M A R Y - R E P O... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx appending exclamation mark and newline in a long line

Hi, I have a shell script which automates reporting and at times, requires the report line to be very long (sometimes as long as 2131 chars). The output I get is similar to this: XXXX XXXXXXX 16:15 3.24% 5.07% 3.69% 5.23% 3.68% 4.06% 3.57% 5.03% 4.31% 5.11% 3.49% 4.19% 4.31% ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
2 Replies
mail(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  mail(1B)

NAME
mail, Mail - interactive message processing system SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/mail ... /usr/ucb/Mail ... DESCRIPTION
/usr/ucb/mail and /usr/ucb/Mail are provided as links to /usr/bin/mailx. See mailx(1) for more information on the usage of these commands. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/ucb/mail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/ucb/Mail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailx(1),attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 19 Aug 1998 mail(1B)