Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ls command options
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Ls command options Post 302984289 by Don Cragun on Monday 24th of October 2016 03:21:50 AM
Old 10-24-2016
All of the following assume that you are not looking for "hidden" files (i.e., files with names starting with a period)... For files with names containing "a":
Code:
ls -d -- *a*

For files with names starting with "a":
Code:
ls -d a*

For files with names ending with "a":
Code:
ls -d -- *a

For files with names containing "a" but not as the first or last character:
Code:
ls -d -- [^a]*a*[^a]

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split Command options

HI! All iam using Split command to split a large .txt file in to smaller files, The syntax iam using split -25000 Product.txt iam getting four output files but not in .txt format but in some other format , when i checked the properties the Type of the output files is Type can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohdtausifsh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to? launch command with string of command line options

my description from another thread... here's my code: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' function OutputName() { input=$1 echo $input input=`echo "$input" | sed -e 's/.//'` input=`echo "$input".avi` output_name=$input } if ]; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Linux - HP UX Command options

Just I gone with the script, I found some command's options which are not compatible with " HP-UX ". If I found any alternate commands to the following, most probably I will solve the issue here. 1. " iostat -x " --> this command's option( x ) is not available in HP-UX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk_eee
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restricting the ls command options

Hi I want the 'ls' command to display only the file size,date modified and name of the file.What i could see with different options is this: $ls -got packagecount.csv $-rwxrwxrwx 1 393137 Aug 21 14:46 packagecount.csv Now what should be my possible... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushovan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to disable options from a command

Hi, I am working on a Linux machine. I need to disable 2 options from the available 6 options of a command. For eg. in the "ls" command we have various options like "l ,r, t, a, .... " From this, I need to disable option "a" So when the users type in "ls -a", they should get an error or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Override options of rm command

How can i override options of rm command ?? and how can i implement my own options when we delete file using rm commad it will not delete file it has to move some folder....plz suggest some solution. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command options one by one

Hi, Just some questions on the script below...? Given: bash-2.03$ command -a option1 name1 name2 ParseOptions() { local Len=${#@} local Ctr=2 #always start at 2 local Name=() local Iter=0 while ; do if <- Is this correct? so I can get the $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help executing command with options

Hi, I have this command in a shell script and I can get it to echo ok, but when I try to execute the command I get a "file not found" error. Which is strange because, if I copy and paste the same command at the cli it works ok. What am I doing wrong please? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
16 Replies
intro(1M)																 intro(1M)

NAME
intro - introduction to system maintenance commands and application programs DESCRIPTION
This section describes commands that are used chiefly for system maintenance and administration purposes. The commands in this section should be used in conjunction with other sections of this manual, as well as the HP-UX System Administration manuals for your system. Command Syntax Unless otherwise noted, commands described in this section accept options and other arguments according to the following syntax: name [ option ( s )] [ cmd_arg ( s )] where the elements are defined as follows: name Name of an executable file. option One or more options can appear on a command line. Each takes one of the following forms: A single letter representing an option without an argument. Two or more single-letter options combined into a single command-line argument. A single-letter option followed by a required argument where: arg_letter is the single letter representing an option that requires an argument, opt_arg is an argument (character string) satisfying the preceding arg_letter, <> represents optional white space. cmd_arg Path name (or other command argument) not beginning with or by itself indicating the standard input. If two or more cmd_args appear, they must be separated by white space. RETURN STATUS
Upon termination, each command returns two bytes of status, one supplied by the system giving the cause for termination, and (in the case of ``normal'' termination) one supplied by the program (for descriptions, see wait(2) and exit(2)). The system-supplied byte is 0 for nor- mal termination. The byte provided by the program is customarily 0 for successful execution and non-zero to indicate errors or failure such as incorrect parameters in the command line, or bad or inaccessible data. Values returned are usually called variously ``exit code'', ``exit status'', or ``return code'', and are described only where special conventions are involved. WARNINGS
Some commands produce unexpected results when processing files containing null characters. These commands often treat text input lines as strings and therefore become confused upon encountering a null character (the string terminator) within a line. SEE ALSO
getopt(1), exit(2), wait(2), getopt(3C), hier(5), introduction(9). Web access to HP-UX documentation at intro(1M)