Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to pull certain fields Post 302983441 by mattadams1983 on Tuesday 11th of October 2016 03:05:41 PM
Old 10-11-2016
Thanks, sorry.
uname -s shows: AIX 00F64BC74C00

Bash 3.00.16(1)

---------- Post updated at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:49 PM ----------

RudiC,
Please pardon my lack of experience here. I'm not sure how to use this suggestion to apply a date format 09032016011500PM into a readable format in a line of code such as
Code:
read rdfirst <<< $(awk -F~ 'NR==2 {T = $14} END{print T}' datafile.txt)
echo $rdfirst

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 10-11-2016 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pull a file from a remote server through a shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script to pull a file from a remote server (Let say its a windows based remote server). One of my criteria is to pull a file only if it is not empty. We have done a similar script to push a file from our end to a remote server and before pushing it we check for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sashankkrk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to pull info from my email?

Hi, I need help writing a script that would pull info from an email inbox and add it to an Evolution Calendar. I'm pretty sure I can google the commands to add the info to the calendar. The part that I really need help with is getting the info from the email into the command. Basically for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinix
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat 114 files using grep or awk to pull muliple fields

Files xxxxxxx.txt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Req.By: xxxxxxx WABUSH MINES - xxxxxx MINE (1001) Page: 1 Run on: 12/14/09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sctxms
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to pull multiple field from log file

I am hoping to get some help with a script to pull certain fields from a log file. User update (xx6xxx P) rpt (yy6yyy B) 2010/01/20 21:36:01.298 Remote client forward start streamid 85af 2010/01/20 21:36:01.307 rpt2 (ZZ6ZZZ G) rpt1 (YY6YYY B) urcall (CQCQCQ ) mycall (W1AW) user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TedSD
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for validating fields in a file

Hi, I have not used Unix in a very long time and I am very rusty. I would appreciate any help I can get from the more experienced and experts in Shell script. I am reading one file at a time from a folder. The file is a flat file with no delimeters or carriage return. Col1 through col6 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to pull hashes out of large text file

I am attempting to write a script that will pull out NTLM hashes from a text file that contains about 500,000 lines of data. Not all accounts contain hashes and I only need the ones that do contain hashes. Here is a sample of what the data looks like: There are thousands of other lines in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chango77747
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aligning output with null fields in shell script

Hello Gurus ! I have what probably amounts to a few simply changes to fix; however for the life of me I cannot seem to get it ti work. I need to align the output of my script (I am writing to a logfile)... here's the lines in my code: if then echo "NODE: $node" >> $logfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields and get output with awk or shell script.?

I have a flat file A.txt with field seperate by a pipe 2012/11/13 20:06:11 | 284:hawk pid=014268 opened Locations 12, 13, 14, 15 for /home/hawk_t112/t112/macteam/qt/NET12/full_ddr3_2X_FV_4BD_1.qt/dbFiles/t112.proto|2012/11/14 15:19:26 | still running |norway|norway 2012/11/14 12:53:51 | ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Group by Based on Multiple Fields in a file

Hi, I want to know if there is any simple approach to SUM a field based on group by of different fields for e.g. file1.txt contains below data 20160622|XXX1||50.00||50.00|MONEY|Plan1| 20160622|XXX1||100.00||100.00|MONEY|Plan1| 20160623|XXX1||25.00||25.00|MONEY|Plan1|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnu_theprince
3 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD