Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Terminating a process - is this code best practice? Post 302982737 by SIMMS7400 on Monday 3rd of October 2016 11:36:29 AM
Old 10-03-2016
Noted - thank you!

I will adjust and add your code to my script. And this would loop through and kill all instances of ESSSVR or just the first one it encounters?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating myself

just like what the subject said but the ip is different example if now my IP is 192.168.0.50 and my name is seed if i wanna terminate 192.168.0.55 with the same nick of mine, seed can i do that ?? and what is the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeeD
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminating script with CTRL+D

Hi, I'm trying to make a script that reads the console input and terminates with CTRL+D. It's absolutely basic but I don't know how to "read" the CTRL+D. I've tried a bunch of things like EOT=^D while //with & without quotations do read input echo $input done while while ] ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanchopansa
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating child script with terminating the parent script

Hi I was working on a shell script with randomly shows a page of text from a randomly selected topic .As soon as the page is displayed it callers a timer script which keeps on running indefinitely until the timer script is killed by the user. This is where I have the problem,if I press... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Terminating Processes by Name

Hi! Just want to know if there is one command that I can use to kill processes by its name. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: love833
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script unexpectedly terminating

I now that this isnt the greatest code around. Im a network guy by trade not a programer .. but needed something to compare config files ... Anyway ... intermittently, the program terminates. Ive been looking at the code for a week trying to figure it out and Im stumped. Can anyone provide... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup terminating

hi all, i m running few batch process through shell script using nohup command but when session get terminated(due to network, reboot of desktop and closing session directly) all processes terminating abnormally and core file is generating. application batch process is connecting oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i terminating expect script without terminating SSH connection.

Hi all , i know i ask a lot of question but these are really hard to solve and important question. I send two scripts: expect.sh: #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn ssh root@172.30.64.163 expect "login:" send "root\n" expect "password:" send "root\n^M" interact and son.sh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best practice triggering a process?

Hi, Since I staterd working as Unix sysadmin (about 3 years ago) I always used to trigger a process evaluating the conditions needed to this process to be executed. Recently I've change the company where I work, and they usually create a trigger file to start a process or to stop a process while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nefeli
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cd error terminating loop

Hi All, I am trying to make a small shell script.In this it will got directory as per variable & run the find command on that directory.There are 120 + directories & not sure all of them are mounted.So the issue is if the directory doesent exists my loops gets terminated. so is there any was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Close file descriptor without terminating process

Can any help me in finding the way to close opened file descriptor in Solaris ,without killing process. As accidently a file was removed which was opened by a process. Much thanks in advance :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
11 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), concat(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)