Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX CPU usage
Operating Systems AIX AIX CPU usage Post 302982711 by rbatte1 on Monday 3rd of October 2016 04:28:47 AM
Old 10-03-2016
If you are certain that you are using the same disk infrastructure and there is no lower class of IO rate given by the SAN (or any other infrastructure, e.g. different number of paths, fabric port settings etc.) then my first, perhaps wildly inaccurate, guess would be a missing index.

This could lead to more IO and therefore less CPU because there is less CPU work to do, you are doing more waiting for IO.

If the LPAR is otherwise idle, have a look at the output from vmstat 10 10 and see what the Wait column (towards the very end) tells you.

Other things to consider might be lower memory which might be causing paging. From the same output, look at the pages in & out (somewhere in the middle) and that might illustrate that. You can also have a look at lsps -a and if it's a bit heavy that could be an indication of low memory.

Beyond that, you would be looking into the oracle parameter file for variations.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring CPU usage on AIX 5.3 with SNMP

Hi I would like to monitor CPU usage ( %) , memory utilization and such on an AIX 5.3 with snmp. How would I do that ? :confused: If I do "snmpwalk -c public -v1 hosttomonitor" I get nothing about the CPU. I've done this on Linux ( not much trouble doing it on linux ) but I'm having a hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: art
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.3 P570 - CPU Usage reports 1500000000.003

Does anyone had an issue with AIX reporting huge CPU Usage Times for jobs? I am seeing process using ps that are reporting billions for the CPU Times. This only seems to happen once in awhile. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate Memory and CPU Usage on AIX

I have written a script that will calculate CPU usage and Memory usage of a particular process on AIX Unix. I know the PID and I am using the command -- # for CPU Usage MSG_CPU_USG=`ps uax | grep ${PID} | awk {'print $3'}` #for Memory Usage MSG_MEM_USG=`ps uax | grep ${PID} | awk {'print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
0 Replies

5. AIX

Which tools can show the AIX CPU, Memory and I/O usage?

If somebody knows there are some tools can show how many CPU, memory useage on AIX and can automatically send email? Such as when setup if CPU is used over 80%, send alert by email automatically. Maybe BMC has this tool? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

9. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky situation with process cpu usage - AIX

OS: AIX so we frequently receive a lot of cpu related alerts. all types of checks have been created to keep an eye on the cpu but a lot of these checks make too much noise as the CPU is always being seen as high. the system and application owners say there's no issue with the cpu. so now,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
ESHCONFIG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      ESHCONFIG(8)

NAME
eshconfig -- configure Essential Communications' HIPPI network interface SYNOPSIS
eshconfig [-estx] [-b bytes] [-c bytes] [-d filename] [-i usecs] [-m bytes] [-r bytes] [-u filename] [-w bytes] [interface] DESCRIPTION
eshconfig is used to configure device-specific parameters and download new firmware to the Essential Communications RoadRunner-based HIPPI network interface. The interface is very sensitive to the DMA performance characteristics of the host, and so requires careful tuning to achieve reasonable performance. In addition, firmware is likely to change frequently, which necessitates a reasonably easy way to update that firmware. Available operands for eshconfig: -b bytes Adjust the burst size for read (by NIC of host memory) DMA. -c bytes Adjust the burst size for write (by NIC of host memory) DMA. -d filename Filename for file to download into NIC firmware. This must be a file in the standard Essential format, with :04 preceding every line, and a tag line at the end indicating the characteristics of the firmware file. -e Write data to EEPROM. Normally, setting tuning parameters will only persist until the system is rebooted. Setting this parameter ensures that the changes will be written to EEPROM. -i usecs Interrupt delay in microseconds. -m bytes Minimum number of bytes to DMA in one direction (read or write) before allowing a DMA in the other direction. Tuning this prevents one direction from dominating the flow of bytes, and artificially throttling the NIC. -r bytes Bytes before DMA starts for read (from host to NIC). This controls how soon the DMA is triggered; until this many bytes are requested, the DMA will not begin. -s Show statistics for the HIPPI NIC. Repeat the option to suppress non-zero statistics. -t Show current tuning parameters on the host. -u filename Name of file to which the NIC firmware should be uploaded. Not currently supported. -w bytes Number of bytes required before write (from NIC to host) DMA is started. Until this many bytes are ready to be written, the DMA will not start. -x Reset the NIC. This is necessary for the HIPPI-FP support, as ifconfig(8) will no longer physically reset the NIC when the inter- faces goes up and down. Only the super-user may modify the configuration of a network interface. DIAGNOSTICS
Messages indicating the specified interface does not exist or the user is not privileged and tried to alter an interface's configuration. SEE ALSO
esh(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The eshconfig command first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
June 17, 2005 BSD