Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split "-n" unknown option
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Split "-n" unknown option Post 302982347 by jacobs.smith on Wednesday 28th of September 2016 09:06:13 AM
Old 09-28-2016
Split "-n" unknown option

Hello,

I am trying to run a third party script. I have no idea what is the purpose of this below split command. But it throws an error saying invalid option -n.

Please comment.

Code:
cat input
@a1101:00000630
TTTTTCTGATAAGCTGGTTCTCACTTCTGTTACTCCATCTTCTTCGGCACC
+
AAAAAFFD3DDDFGFF1FGGDFDAGFHHBGHCEGDG11BA2221D00AAEF
@a1101:00000924
GGAAGAAAAGGACTCTGACAGCATGGAGGACACGGGCCCTTATTCCATCAA
+
111>11CBFF?C1GFGCGFGFG0BFC1BAEECGC0EE//AA1AADBFGFDD

Code:
split -n r/1/4 input
split: invalid option -- 'n'
Try `split --help' for more information.

My split version - split (GNU coreutils) 8.4

Thank You

Last edited by jacobs.smith; 09-28-2016 at 10:16 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unknown error message "sh: No: not found"

I am getting this error message (sh: No: not found) and I have no idea what line in my unix script its coming from or what it means. Can anyone help? thanks, Cindy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cindytucci
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading. I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 22blaze
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the meaning of "-s" option in "if" statement?

Hi Guys, I'm sorry but I can't find answer for this, what is the meaning of -s option in "if" statement on unix scipting. Please see sample below: opath=/home/output for i in N1 N2 N3 N4 do echo $i if then grep $i $opath/N5_CRAI > $opath/N5_$i.crai chmod 777 $opath/N5_$i.crai ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX

Hi Friends, I set up the sendmail in my perosnal home lab. I am using mutt to send the email in between the machines. Everything is working fine if i send email like <username>@<hostname>. Now i set up the MX record for my domain "home.com" and then i was trying to send the email to like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Unknown Disks "offline or reservation conflict"

Hi All, I am a RH Linux admin that recently started working at a company with a number of SUN Servers so it's been an interesting transition. Considering the last person left with very little documentation left behind so I have been picking up most issues half complete, or troubleshot. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileGSP
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [ file [name]] split [ -b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [ file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecounNumber of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 16 Apr 1999 split(1)