Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Carriage return with cat variable Post 302982280 by vbe on Tuesday 27th of September 2016 01:12:38 PM
Old 09-27-2016
Did you try?:
Code:
 echo "$te"

This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returns leading carriage return into a variable

I am trying to generate some scripts to help manage an Oracle database. When I check the value returned from Oracle it has a leading carriage return in the variable. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to easily strip out the carriage return. See code and output below. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panzer993
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A variable is including the Carriage Return char...

Hi all, I'm reading a file with this layout: First_Col Second_Col The Second_Col has values as 1000, -1, 10, 43... While reading the file I'm getting the second column value with awk command, but it is including the CR control char. do item_saved=`echo $b | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies
TRANSLITERATOR.TRANSLITERATE(3) 					 1					   TRANSLITERATOR.TRANSLITERATE(3)

Transliterator::transliterate - Transliterate a string

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public string Transliterator::transliterate (string $subject, [int $start], [int $end]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style transliterator_transliterate (mixed $transliterator, string $subject, [int $start], [int $end]) Transforms a string or part thereof using an ICU transliterator. PARAMETERS
o $transliterator - In the procedural version, either a Transliterator or a string from which a Transliterator can be built. o $subject - The string to be transformed. o $start - The start index (in UTF-16 code units) from which the string will start to be transformed, inclusive. Indexing starts at 0. The text before will be left as is. o $end - The end index (in UTF-16 code units) until which the string will be transformed, exclusive. Indexing starts at 0. The text after will be left as is. RETURN VALUES
The transfomed string on success, or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Converting escaped UTF-16 code units <?php $s = "u304Au65E9u3046u3054u3056u3044u307Eu3059"; echo transliterator_transliterate("Hex-Any/Java", $s), " "; //now the reverse operation with a supplementary character $supplChar = html_entity_decode('&#x1D11E;'); echo mb_strlen($supplChar, "UTF-8"), " "; $encSupplChar = transliterator_transliterate("Any-Hex/Java", $supplChar); //echoes two encoded UTF-16 code units echo $encSupplChar, " "; //and back echo transliterator_transliterate("Hex-Any/Java", $encSupplChar), " "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: 1 uD834uDD1E SEE ALSO
Transliterator::getErrorMessage, Transliterator::__construct. PHP Documentation Group TRANSLITERATOR.TRANSLITERATE(3)