Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To substitute multiple variable by their content in a file Post 302981529 by RudiC on Wednesday 14th of September 2016 10:36:51 AM
Old 09-14-2016
or even
Code:
awk -v RP="$var" '
BEGIN   {for (n=split(RP, T, "[\n:]"); n>0; n-=2) REPL[T[n-1]] = T[n]
        }
        {for (r in REPL) sub (r, REPL[r])
        }
' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple file content?

Hi Gurus, I need replace multiple files content. the file name pattern likes currentfile_code_* the content pattern in the file like text=value I need replace the content as text=abcde Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute one line of multiple files according to another file

I need to make ~96 configure files from a template config file which has hundreds of rows that looks like: template.config: #average insert size avg_ins=1000 ...... other information omitted Those config files are named in sequence from S01.config, S02.config, ... etc with different... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a word in multiple file?

Team, I want to change below parameter in all the files in a directory, Check for HOSTNAME=`hostname` Change to HOSTNAME=localhost And I tried below but, its not working ☹ find /tmp -type f -exec sed 's/"HOSTNAME\=\`hostname\`"/"HOSTNAME\=localhost/g'" Help me if I am missing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies
PDL2(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  PDL2(1p)

NAME
pdl2 - Simple shell (version 2) for PDL SYNOPSIS
Use PDL interactively: %> pdl2 pdl> $a = sequence(10) # or any other perl or PDL command pdl> print "$a = $a "; $a = [0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] DESCRIPTION
The "pdl2" program, also known as the Perldl2 shell, is a second generation version of the original "perldl" interactive PDL shell. It attempts to be backward compatible in usage while providing improved features, better support for Perl syntax, and an more easily extended framework based on the Devel::REPL shell. If you have Devel::REPL version 1.003011 or later, then "pdl2" will start with full functionality. If Devel::REPL is not installed or found then "pdl2" will print a warning and run the legacy "perldl" shell command instead. By default, command lines beginning with the default prompt of either "pdl2" or "perldl" (one of 'pdl> ', 'PDL> ', or 'perldl> ') will have the prefix string and surrounding whitespace stripped. This allows for easy cut-and-paste from sample PDL shell sessions or other examples into another PDL shell session. FUNCTIONS
do_print Toggle print-by-default on and off (default value: off) By default, "pdl2" does not print the results of operations since the results can be very large (e.g., a small 640x480 RGBA image is still more than 1_000_000 elements). However, for experimenting and debugging more complex structures, it helps to see the results of every operation. The "do_print" routine allows you to toggle between the default "quiet" operation and a full Read, Evaluate, Loop style. pdl> $a = pdl(3,2) pdl> do_print 1 pdl> $a = pdl(3,2) $PDL1 = [3 2]; pdl> do_print pdl> $a = pdl(3,2) VARIABLES
$PDL::toolongtoprint The maximal size pdls to print (defaults to 10000 elements). This is not just a "perldl" or "pdl2" variable but it is something that is usually needed in an interactive debugging session. SEE ALSO
perldl, Devel::REPL perl v5.14.2 2012-05-19 PDL2(1p)