Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To substitute multiple variable by their content in a file Post 302981529 by RudiC on Wednesday 14th of September 2016 10:36:51 AM
Old 09-14-2016
or even
Code:
awk -v RP="$var" '
BEGIN   {for (n=split(RP, T, "[\n:]"); n>0; n-=2) REPL[T[n-1]] = T[n]
        }
        {for (r in REPL) sub (r, REPL[r])
        }
' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple file content?

Hi Gurus, I need replace multiple files content. the file name pattern likes currentfile_code_* the content pattern in the file like text=value I need replace the content as text=abcde Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute one line of multiple files according to another file

I need to make ~96 configure files from a template config file which has hundreds of rows that looks like: template.config: #average insert size avg_ins=1000 ...... other information omitted Those config files are named in sequence from S01.config, S02.config, ... etc with different... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a word in multiple file?

Team, I want to change below parameter in all the files in a directory, Check for HOSTNAME=`hostname` Change to HOSTNAME=localhost And I tried below but, its not working ☹ find /tmp -type f -exec sed 's/"HOSTNAME\=\`hostname\`"/"HOSTNAME\=localhost/g'" Help me if I am missing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)