Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Deleting directory with leading hyphen in name Post 302981522 by gandolf989 on Wednesday 14th of September 2016 09:38:17 AM
Old 09-14-2016
Removing the file should not be a problem...
If you use Bash, once you type "rm ./\-" press tab

Code:
$ ls -al
total 500
drwxr-xr-x   2 oracle dba    4096 Sep 14 09:36 .
drwxrwxrwt. 15 root   root 503808 Sep 14 09:36 ..
$ touch ./\ \-p
$ touch ./\-p
$ ls -al
total 500
drwxr-xr-x   2 oracle dba    4096 Sep 14 09:37 .
-rw-r--r--   1 oracle dba       0 Sep 14 09:37  -p
-rw-r--r--   1 oracle dba       0 Sep 14 09:37 -p
$ rm ./\-p
$ rm ./\ \-p
$ ls -al
total 500
drwxr-xr-x   2 oracle dba    4096 Sep 14 09:37 .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting A Directory!

This must be simple! How do you delete a directory that contains other files and directories?:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefinger
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the file only to all the directory and sub directory

I need the unix command or shell script to delete all the file in current directory and sub directory. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh function getopts get leading underscore unless preceded by hyphen

If I call my function with grouped options: "logm -TDIWEFO 'message' ", then only the "T" gets parsed correctly. The subsequent values returned have underscores prefixed to the value: "_D", "_I", etc. If I "logm -T -DIWEFO 'message' ", the "T" and the "D" are OK, but "I" through "O" get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchriste
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar specific directory and strip leading directories

Ok so I know the title was probably confusing so here goes: I have a tarball (gzipped) that has a nested directory structure . For example: my.tar.gz (contents) --- ------ --------- ------------ --------------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding directory during deleting

Hi all, I'm trying to work on a script to delete files older then 31 day's in certain directories. Now, that works, but in one directory there are 3 other maps which contains files that can be deleted but one map which contains files that can't be deleted. My current command is: find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasperG
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove leading directory from line in filename?

i have a process that receives files similar to below. these are files obviously generated on a windows machine that are submitted to a linux cluster. the one thing they have in common is the leading c:\any-number-of-leading-dirs\filename.xxx. is there a way to re-create/modify the file to remove... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a directory and zipping another directory

Hi Folks, I have a directory in unix that is /usr/local/pos contain the folowing directoreis ..that is dir1 dir2 dir3 now I want to delete only dir2 please advise how to remove the directory dir 2 ..that is rm command and how to use it , and second if I want to zip the dir3 please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deleting leading zeros in a file

I have a list of numbers extracted and need to delete the leading zeros from them, but when i do so, the command I am using also deletes numbers that end in Zero as well. eg 10, 20, 30, etc this is part of a larger script and the only way I can think of is to try and detect the 10,20 30 etc in... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing directory with leading hyphen from root directory

I know that this basic question has been asked many times and solutions all over the internet, but none of the are working for me. I have a directory in the root directory, named "-p". # ls -l / total 198 <snip> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 3 14:18 opt drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies

10. AIX

Deleting a Directory

I have a directory under my home directory called: my work. I cannot delete this directory and I want to. If anyone needs additional information. Please let me know. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nerdgirl1313
8 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2: Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)