Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting sequential pattern Post 302981500 by rovf on Wednesday 14th of September 2016 02:31:14 AM
Old 09-14-2016
I don't see the point in taking from somewhere a program, which is completely unrelated to your problem, and hoping that it will mysteriously turn into a correct run.

You should at least show some effort, for example by outlining the idea for an algorithm to do this task. At this point, this has nothing to do with shell programming; it's just about programming in general. Once this is done, we can discuss solutions in how to turn the algorithm into a, say, shell script; and, don't forget in this case to indicate, whether you are looking for a solution in some particular shell (bash, ksh, zsh, posix shell,....), or if any shell would be fine, as long as it gets the job done.

BTW, while it is for sure possible and not too hard to write the whole thing in shell language, I would probably use a more convenient programming language, such as Ruby or Perl. In the end, it's a matter of taste.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reading special characters while converting sequential file to line sequential

We have to convert a sequential file to a 80 char line sequential file (HP UX platform).The sequential file contains special characters. which after conversion of the file to line sequential are getting coverted into "new line" or "tab" and file is getting distorted. Is there any way to read these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines between 2 strings only if the pattern patches

Hi Friends, Please help me with the following problem: I have an xml file with the following lines: <init-param> <param-name>/default/directory</param-name> <param-value>default</param-value> </init-param> <init-param> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simran
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting pattern from every line

My scenario: 1. textfle 2. every line similar to: "...____ your sister?is1are0am0Grammar point1_______ the chairs in..." 3. need to extract only the numbers in each line, eg 001 in the case above. Tried different GREP/Sed combinations but...here I am An output like that would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sequential to line sequential

Hi I have a file sequential way i.e. written in contineous mode and the Record Seperator is AM from which the record is seperated .Now to process I have to make line sequential,and more over record length is not same it varies as per the input address, AM1234563 John Murray 24 Old streeet old... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
5 Replies

5. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting sub-string matching the pattern.

Hi, I have a string looks like the following: USERS 32767.9844 UNDOTBS1 32767.9844 SYSAUX 32767.9844 SYSTEM 32767.9844 EMS 8192 EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 EMS_INDEXES 4096 8 rows selected. How do I extract a sub-string to get the expected output as following: EMS 8192 EMS_INDEXES 4096 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetBear
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting substring between pattern only one time

Hello ifconfig return : eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 11:24:1D:C1:99:BA inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:37307 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a certain pattern..

Hi All, Suppose i have 4 coloumns in a excel sheet. Col A Col B Col C Col D 123 time1 abc 8 231 time2 xyz 6 324 time3 abc 4 456 time4 xyz 3 132 time5 abc 2 I want the data of coloum A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a pattern and extracting records related to that pattern

Hi there, Looking forward to your advice for the below: I have a file which contains 2 paragraphs related to a particular pattern. I have to search for those paragraphs from a log file and then print a particular line from those paragraphs. Sample: I have one file with the fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for sequential pattern

input file: 4 5 1 A 1 2 3 4 s 8 (input file can be many millions of lines long) I want to search the example input file above, and when I find 4 sequential rows with values of 1,2,3,4 return those values and the two previous ones. In this case it should return 1,A,1,2,3,4 I know... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedenker
8 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)