Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu I need help setting up LVM snapshots on Ubuntu 16.04 Post 302981187 by rbatte1 on Thursday 8th of September 2016 06:53:24 AM
Old 09-08-2016
The creation of snapshot is usually with lvconvert for Linux systems. Others use a variety of other LVM commands.

Does the database not include the hot-backup functionality itself? It would be better to use that if you can. Have a look at Backup and Restore Overview - MariaDB Knowledge Base to see if that provides a better plan.

The problem you will have with LVM snapshots is being sure you have the correct definition of your process. The phrasing can be confusing in what it delivers and how. If you have a high-rate update database then some snapshots can expire before your backup completes.

Do you want to really make a copy of the LV, mount that elsewhere and backup from there? You might have a problem in ensuring that the snapshot is a true reflection of a point in time if there are multiple LVs in use for the DB.

Is this the only way?

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

2. Solaris

snapshots syntax

Hi guys, i am intrested to learn about snapshots. I was a bit confused about snapshot i know using fssnap -F ufs -o bs (i dont understand the exact what to give the path after this ) if any one know the proper syntax..pls help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mplayer snapshots

I have a script with: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:width=320:height=240:norm=NTSC:fps=30:noaudio:input=0 -vf screenshot -aspect 4:3 -vo xv to take .png screenshots. It now works but am not getting what the webcam sees displayed in the frame -- just snow noise. Does someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Is this how LVM snapshots work?

Hi guys. I'm confused how LVM snapshots work. Here is what i understood: 1. we have a Logical Volume holding our data. 2. we make a snap shot of it with this command: lvcreate -L 1000M -s -n backup /dev/vg01/lv013. mount the snap shot 4. take your backup 5. remove the snapshot --> in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting up ubuntu server as real time

0 down vote favorite share share share Let's solve my case please, it's urgent I have installed ubuntu server 11.04 on a machine with size 4GB. As, the ubuntu server 11.04 does not support real time kernel by default, I ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting environment variable problem in Ubuntu?

I am trying to install timbl- memory based learner tools in ubuntu. it after unpacking the tar file it brings the following msg No package 'ticcutils' found Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix. Alternatively, you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbdaw
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create LVM snapshots?

Please suggest me how do I create LVM snapshots in linux. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
5 Replies
ubuntu-dev-tools(5)						File Formats Manual					       ubuntu-dev-tools(5)

NAME
ubuntu-dev-tools - Configuration for the ubuntu-dev-tools package. DESCRIPTION
The ubuntu-dev-tools package is similar in scope to the devscripts(1) package, providing a collection of scripts which may be of use to Ubuntu and Debian developers or others wishing to build Debian packages. Some of these scripts have options which may be configured on a system-wide and per-user basis. These options are configured in devscripts.conf(5). All variables are described in the script's manpages. Package-wide variables begin with "UBUNTUTOOLS" and are listed below. Every script which reads the configuration files can be forced to ignore them by using the --no-conf command-line option. ENVIRONMENT
All ubuntu-dev-tools configuration variables can be set (and overridden) by setting them in the environment (unlike devscripts). In addition, several scripts use the following environment variables: UBUMAIL Overrides DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME when the target is clearly Ubuntu. Can either contain an e-mail address or Full Name <email@example.org>. DEBEMAIL, DEBFULLNAME As in devscripts(1). PACKAGE-WIDE VARIABLES The currently recognised package-wide variables are: UBUNTUTOOLS_BUILDER This specifies the preferred test-builder, one of pbuilder (default), sbuild, pbuilder-dist. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The preferred Debian archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The preferred Debian security archive mirror. Should be of the form http://security.debian.org (no trailing slash). If not speci- fied, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu (no trailing slash). If not specified, the master will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_UBUNTU_PORTS_MIRROR The preferred Ubuntu archive mirror. Should be of the form http://ports.ubuntu.com (no trailing slash). If not specified, the mas- ter will be used. UBUNTUTOOLS_LPINSTANCE The launchpad instance to communicate with. e.g. production (default) or staging. UBUNTUTOOLS_MIRROR_FALLBACK Whether or not to fall-back to the master archive mirror. This is usually the desired behaviour, as mirrors can lag the masters. If on a private network with only a local mirror, you may want to set this to no. One of yes (default) or no. UBUNTUTOOLS_UPDATE_BUILDER Whether or not to update the test-builder before each test build. One of yes or no (default). UBUNTUTOOLS_WORKDIR The directory to use for preparing source packages etc. When unset, defaults to a directory in /tmp/ named after the script. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manpage was written by Stefano Rivera <stefanor@ubuntu.com>. ubuntu-dev-tools December 19 2010 ubuntu-dev-tools(5)