Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process output in different layout Post 302981132 by Corona688 on Wednesday 7th of September 2016 02:28:53 PM
Old 09-07-2016
There's a lot involved in splitting off processes, yes. Allocating and destroying lots of memory. Looking up paths, opening files, parsing libraries. Stopping and starting the "universe" (program context) multiple times. If you create a process, it's a good idea to let it do as much work as possible before killing it or getting in its way.

xargs isn't terribly useful here, again, it ends up creating processes so suffers the same drawback. It's nice for when you need to create processes, or can bundle multiple calls into one big call.

For high compactness, fewer externals, and the ability to handle spaces in filenames:
Code:
N=0 ; for x in * ; do printf "%d %s\n" $((++N)) "$x" ; done

To bundle it all in one enormous printf, which might be more i/o efficient:

Code:
s=""
n=0
for x in * ; do  s="$s $x $((++n))" ; done

for n in {1..10} ; do printf "%d %s\n" $s ; done

Last edited by Corona688; 09-07-2016 at 03:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retreive process output

Hi, I had a process that was producing a standard output (no log of it eing produced), unfortunalty the xterm it was running in died and I lost the output. I have logged back in and can see that the process didn't die. How can I bring this process to the foreground so that I can see the output?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening output file while still in process

Dear guru, Say I have a long process that is executed in this way: $ nohup perl mycode.pl > output.txt & Now if I want to view the output file with vi, while process still running: $ vi output.txt Will it kill the process? (seems to me it does). If so how can view the file without... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ps just output the process name?

I'm trying to get the ps command to just output the name of the processes currently running, but I can't figure out a way to do it. I'm using OSX, so some UNIX features are crippled. Is there any way for me to do this? Thanks, Black Leopard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blckleprd
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ls output for other process

Hello, Just to set the tone: I am a complete UNIX noob (i guess you see that excuse popping up frequently here but anyhow) Now here's my bloody simple problem which needs to be quite urgently resolved: I have a number of files in a directory, for which the ones, relevant for executing a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eich
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect bg process output to within the script

Hi, I have a process running in the background, which throws up some output to the terminal when I run my script. How can I read this output from my script? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Theju
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write process output to a file

When I run <ls -l> to get a list of all the files, I want the displayed result to be written to a text file. Is there a way to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kn.naresh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending process output into a file

Hello Friends, I'm trying to save process status of root user sorting by CPU usage. However i couldnt save the continuous, standard outputs into a file. Do you have any idea to do it? prstat -u root -a -s cpu | sed -e '/^$/d;/sleep/d;/Total/d' >> stat.txt >ls -l stat.txt -rw-r--r-- 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeing output of background process

I'm pretty sure I had the answer to this months ago and have misplaced it. Needless to say I will bookmark it this time. I have a background process that's been running way longer than usual. It doesn't output anything to a file, so I can't 'tail -f' it. Is there a command that will enable me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output when killing a background process

I played a bit around with the Terminal and I observed something. When I start and kill a background process, there is some kind of output. After I invoked the command to start the process the first message " 13063" is directly displayed. However, after killing the process, the second message "+... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chuck Morris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash process output analysis

Looking to create a script to listen to each output from a task while it is running and launch a function if a specific error message is found at any point and if not to continue uninterrupted. #!/bin/bash read checker <<< $(reaver -i mon0 -b 'target bssid' -vv) if ; then function elif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
1 Replies
wstring(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       wstring(3C)

NAME
wstring, wscasecmp, wsncasecmp, wsdup, wscol - Process Code string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <widec.h> int wscasecmp(const wchar_t *s1, const wchar_t *s2); int wsncasecmp(const wchar_t *s1, const wchar_t *s2, int n); wchar_t *wsdup(const wchar_t *s); int wscol(const wchar_t *s); DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on Process Code strings terminated by wchar_t null characters. During appending or copying, these routines do not check for an overflow condition of the receiving string. In the following, s, s1, and s2 point to Process Code strings terminated by a wchar_t null. wscasecmp(), wsncasecmp() The wscasecmp() function compares its arguments, ignoring case, and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, depending upon whether s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. It makes the same comparison but compares at most n Process Code characters. The four Extended Unix Code (EUC) codesets are ordered from lowest to highest as 0, 2, 3, 1 when characters from different codesets are compared. wsdup() The wsdup() function returns a pointer to a new Process Code string, which is a duplicate of the string pointed to by s. The space for the new string is obtained using malloc(3C). If the new string cannot be created, a null pointer is returned. wscol() The wscol() function returns the screen display width (in columns) of the Process Code string s. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |MT-Level MT-Safe | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
malloc(3C), string(3C), wcstring(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 wstring(3C)