Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Clear contents of specified directories, then return exit status Post 302980394 by Corona688 on Friday 26th of August 2016 04:52:46 PM
Old 08-26-2016
What are the permissions on the folders telling you permission denied?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clear CLOSE_WAIT status

Hi, I have an application with a bug in it that keeps sockets in CLOSE_WAIT, which eventually freezes the server because the user account it runs under runs out of file handles. We have the bug fixed but can only release the fix with the next release. Does anyone know how I can clear the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Return of EXIT status ( $? )

I have the question: How return the exit code from then assign : VAR=$(command ) for ex. VAR=$(ls ....) VAREXIT=$? echo $VAREXIT VAREXIT is equal to 0 if the directory exist or not exist. WHI?? if i execute the command direct from line-command , the value of $? is different if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status

Hi all, I'm running a program which return 1 upon success. But when encounters problem shell return 's '1' . How to differentiate between them the shell return value and script return value. Ex. function fn return '1' if executed successfully and '0' if failed. But when if shell encounters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhacks
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear Terminal After Exit

I have had a look around and can not find the answer, I dont think im searching for the right phrase. I have written a script to control common functions on my server, however when exiting the script the terminal starts directly below the script that was running... how can i clear this so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command does not return exit status due to tee

Hi, I am using /bin/sh. I want to display the stdout and stderr on the terminal as well as save it in a file, so I'm using this command. gmake all 2>&1 | tee log But even if gmake fails, it's always giving 0 as exit status, i suppose because of tee. # false 2>&1 | tee Log # echo $? 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear contents of a file without deleting it.

Hi, I have a script which will use an input.txt file as an input file. I am providing data to this input file in the script and once the script is executed, I want to clear all the contents of this file as during the second time use of this script, I'll be appending the data in this input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to get the exit status

Hi All, I am trying to create a zip file with all the txt files(these are in large number) in the current directory. I am able to do this operation sucessfully. After this i want to get the status of the tar command executed and do accordingly. When i am trying with the below code, the status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
folders(1mh)															      folders(1mh)

Name
       folders - list folders and contents

Syntax
       folders [ +folder ] [ msg ] [ options ]

Description
       The command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain.

The  command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory.	The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line.  This
       is illustrated in the following example:
	 Folder      # of messages (  range  ); cur  msg  (other files)
	   V2.3  has	3 messages (   1-   3).
	 adrian  has   20 messages (   1-  20); cur=   2.
	  brian  has   16 messages (   1-  16).
	  chris  has   12 messages (   1-  12).
	copylog  has  242 messages (   1- 242); cur= 225.
	  inbox+ has   73 messages (   1- 127); cur= 127.
	    int  has	4 messages (   1-   4); cur=   2  (others).
	   jack  has   17 messages (   1-  17); cur=  17.

TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders.
       The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder.  The information about the folder includes the term (others).   This
       indicates  that the folder contains files which are not messages.  These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under
       the MH file naming scheme.

The command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the command.

If you use with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder.  as shown in the following example:
       % folders +test
       Folder		# of messages (  range	); cur	msg  (other files)
       test+ has	  18 messages (   1-  18);	     (others).
       test/testone has    1 message  (   1-   1).
       test/testtwo has   no messages.

TOTAL=   19 messages in 3 folders.
       See for more details of sub-folders.

Options
       -fast
       -nofast	 Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information.  This is faster because the folders need not be read.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-list
       -nolist	 Lists the contents of the folder-stack.  No +folder argument is allowed with this option.

-pack
       -nopack	 Re-numbers messages in the folders.  Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps  in  the  numbering  are  removed.   The
		 default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder.

-pop	 Discards  the	top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value.  No +folder argument is allowed with this
		 option.  This corresponds to the operation in the C-shell; see The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occur-
		 rence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other.

-push	 Pushes  the  current  folder  onto  the  folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder.  If +folder is not
		 given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged.  This corresponds to the operation in the  C-shell;  see
		 The  -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence
		 of the other.

-recurse
       -norecurse
		 Lists folders recursively.  Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any  sub-folders  which  it  con-
		 tains.

-total
       -nototal  Displays  only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory.  This option does not print any information about
		 individual folders.  It can be suppressed using the -nototal option.

The defaults for are:

+folder defaults to all
	      msg defaults to none
	      -nofast
	      -noheader
	      -nototal
	      -nopack
	      -norecurse

Restrictions
       MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory.

Profile Components
       Path:		 To determine your MH directory
       Folder-Protect:	 To set protections when creating a new folder
       Folder-Stack:	 To determine the folder stack
       lsproc:		 Program to list the contents of a folder

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       csh(1), folder(1mh), refile(1mh), mhpath(1mh)

folders(1mh)