Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Reading and copying a selected rows Post 302979363 by RavinderSingh13 on Saturday 13th of August 2016 01:53:22 AM
Old 08-13-2016
Hello mranrasheedamu,

Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
 awk '{if(++Q[$1]<5){print $0 >> "file"$1} else {close("file"$1)}}'  Input_file

Output it created 2 files named file1 and file2, because have put lines into Input_file only till 2 number only.

Thanks,
R. Singh
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting rows after a selected point

I have a log file from which I want to cut out the ten lines assoictiated to my search requirment (cust_ref #). The cust_ref number will be on te first line and the update information will be on the following ten lines (which dosen't linking data to grep on). Using a script I would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying selected content from file

I want to capture contents of a file between 2 strings into another file for eg all lines in between the keywords "start log" and "end log" should be copied into another file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return number of rows selected

Hi all, i am doing a perl script to read from a db. I am able to retrieve the rows, but i am unable to return the number of rows selected. i tried $selectedrows = $sth->numrows; i got the error msg: Can't locate object method "numrows" via package "DBI::st" i changed it to $selectedrows =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print selected rows with awk

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me how I can print from a file a selected rows with awk. In my case I only want print in another file all the rows from NR=8 to NR=2459 and the increment each 8 times. I tried to this: awk '{for (i=8; i=2459; i+=8); NR==i}' file1 > file2 But doesn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying selected records from two columns to another file

Hey guys I have got a tab-separated file and I want to copy only selected records from two columns at a time satisfying specified condition, and create a new file. My tab separated file is like this ID score ID score ID Score ID score ID score 1_11 0.80 2_23 0.74 2.36 0.78 2_34 0.75 A_34... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacks
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a newline char from selected rows.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract selected rows

Hi, I have two files Input1.txt and Input2.txt and i need to have a output with selected lines starting with the values present in Input2.txt. For example: Input1.txt:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading selected lines from a param file

Hi all, I have a question for the Gurus. I apologize if this has bee shared before but I couldn't find the link. I am trying to read parameters from an external parameter file. What I m trying to achieve is read selected lines from an external parameter file into the script. for eg my param... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick1947
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving or copying first rows and last rows into another file

Hi I would like to move the first 1000 rows of my file into an output file and then move the last 1000 rows into another output file. Any help would be great Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple rows based on selected column keys

Hello I want to collapse a file with multiple rows into consolidated lines of entries based on selected columns as the 'key'. Example: 1 2 3 Abc def ghi 1 2 3 jkl mno p qrts 6 9 0 mno def Abc 7 8 4 Abc mno mno abc 7 8 9 mno mno abc 7 8 9 mno j k So if columns 1, 2 and 3 are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxlearner123
6 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD