Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine multiple rows based on selected column keys Post 302979072 by linuxlearner123 on Tuesday 9th of August 2016 12:39:25 AM
Old 08-09-2016
Thank you for the prompt reply. I tried both the commands.
(i)
Code:
awk '{Q=$1 OFS $2 OFS $3;P=$0;$1=$2=$3="\b";A[Q]=A[Q]?A[Q] OFS $0:P} END{for(i in A){print A[i]}}' input_file
6 9 0 mno def Abc
7 8 4 Abc mno mno abc
7 8 9 mno mno abc mno j k
1 2 3 Abc def ghi jkl mno p qrts

(ii)
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR{Q=$1 OFS $2 OFS $3;P=$0;$1=$2=$3="\b";A[Q]=A[Q]?A[Q] OFS $0:P;next} (($1 OFS $2 OFS $3) in A){print A[$1 OFS $2 OFS $3]}' input_file input_file

6 9 0 mno def Abc
7 8 4 Abc mno mno abc

So while the order of the lines would be helpful, I think the first command should help. I can then sort the lines. Or I could use `uniq` on the second command.

Do you mind explaining either of the two commands a bit, so I can use and modify in the future? Thanks!

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-09-2016 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Adjusted CODE tags to include the output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

flags to suppress column output, # of rows selected in db2 sql in UNIX

Hello, I am new to db2 SQL in unix so bear with me while I try to explain the situation. I have a text file that has the contents of the where condition that I am using for a db2 SQL in UNIX ksh. Here is the snippet. if ; then echo "Begin processing VALUEs" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining files based on multiple keys

I need a script (perl or awk..anything is fine) to join 3 files based on three key columns. The no of non-key columns can vary in each file. The columns are delimited by semicolon. For example, File1 Dim1;Dim2;Dim3;Fact1;Fact2;Fact3;Fact4;Fact5 ---- data delimited by semicolon --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebben
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting csv file based on column selected

Hi all, in my csv file it'll look like this, and of course it may have more columns US to UK;abc-hq-jcl;multimedia UK to CN;def-ny-jkl;standard DE to DM;abc-ab-klm;critical FD to YM;la-yr-tym;standard HY to MC;la-yr-ytm;multimedia GT to KJ;def-ny-jrt;critical I would like to group... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum a column value based on multiple keys

Hi, I have below as i/p file: 5ABC 36488989 K 000010000ASB BYTRES 5PQR 45757754 K 000200005KPC HGTRET 5ABC 36488989 K 000045000ASB HGTRET 5GTH 36488989 K 000200200ASB BYTRES 5FTU ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnkv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files column to column based on keys

Here is my situation. I need to compare two tab separated files (diff is not useful since there could be known difference between files). I have found similar posts , but not fully matching.I was thinking of writing a shell script using cut and grep and while loop but after going thru posts it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackjack101
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to print only selected rows in a particular column specified by column name

Dear All, I have a data file input.csv like below. (Only five column shown here for example.) Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 3,2,4,5,6 5,3,5,5,6 From this I want the below output Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 where the second column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help!!!! Awk for summing columns based on selected column value

a,b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh,ii a thru ii are digits and strings.... The awk needed....if coloumn 9 == i (coloumn 9 is string ), output the sum of x's(coloumn 22 ) in all records and sum of y's (coloumn 23 ) in all records in a file (records.txt).... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find All duplicates based on multiple keys

Hi All, Input.txt 123,ABC,XYZ1,A01,IND,I68,IND,NN 123,ABC,XYZ1,A01,IND,I67,IND,NN 998,SGR,St,R834,scot,R834,scot,NN 985,SGR0399,St,R180,T15,R180,T1,YY 985,SGR0399,St,R180,T15,R180,T1,NN 985,SGR0399,St,R180,T15,R180,T1,NN 2943,SGR?99,St,R68,Scot,R77,Scot,YY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
2 Replies
Char(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Char(3pm)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.14.2 2011-03-30 Char(3pm)