Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Read line and save fields as variables Post 302979027 by Splinter479 on Monday 8th of August 2016 05:36:17 AM
Old 08-08-2016
thanks so far for your replies. I kind of have the feeling too that it is somehow related to the calls.txt
I thought the minimal example would do the job, but let's give you a more real copy of what I have done:

my.sh :
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo " I AM OUTSIDE THE LOOP"

infile="calls.txt"

while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 f10 f11 f12 f13 f14 f15 f16 f17 f18 f19
do
        echo " I AM INSIDE THE LOOP"

my_file1=$f1
        species1=$f2
        chrom1=$f3
        my_file2=$f4
        species2=$f5
        chrom2=$f6
        binSize=$f7
        foo1=$f8
        foo2=$f9
        foo3=$f10
        foo4=$f11
        variance=$f12
        bar1=$f13
        bar2=$f14
        java_jar=$f15
        bar3=$f16
        bar4=$f17
        unit=$f18
        bar5=$f19

# program calls here

done < "$infile"

my calls.txt is just a one liner right now, but later many lines according to the same format shall follow:
Code:
/path/to/my/file.txt,string1,string2,/path/to/my/other/file.txt,string3,string4,int1,string5,string6,int2,int3,int4,/path/to/a/third/file.txt,path/to/a/fourth/file.txt,/path/to/a/java.jar,anotherString,anotherString,anotherString,aFloatNumber

so this is exactly a renamed representation of the calls.txt. Sorry for the censorship, but in fact I am currently developing a software tool I am ofc not allowed to share everything in detail :/

I came up with the thoughts of maybe the paths messing it up? I 'll retry with quoting the paths. Other ideas?

EDIT: quoting didn't help :/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line and put it into 3 variables

Hi All, I'll get a file whose 2nd line contains 3 fields: filename(variable length), file size char(10), and record count int(10). How do I cut it and put it into 3 variables? eg: abcd.csv01234567891111111111 now I want: $one = abcd.csv, $two = 0123456789, $three = 1111111111. I also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables from line to fixed length

I would like to make a script to read three variables (no fixed length or position) from a line and write them into a file, with fixed length and right-justified in each column. The fixed text (text1-text4) prior to the thee variables and the variables themselves are originally separated by spaces... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SharkM
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Save enviroment variables

I need to save my enviroment variables,specially the $PATH.When I put it on .cshrc at next reboot I lost the configuration.How can avoid this?Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 1-line file and separate into multiple variables

I have one line files with 17 records separated by a semi-colon. I need to create a variable from each record, which I can do via a separate awk for each one, but I know there has to be a better way. Along with pulling out the variable, I need to convert some url coding like a + to a space, etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and for each line replace two variables, add strings and save output in another file

Hi All, I have a file, let's call it "info.tmp" that contains data like this .. ABC123456 PCX333445 BCD789833 I need to read "info.tmp" and for each line add strings in a way that the final output is put /logs/ua/dummy.trigger 'AAA00001.FTP.XXX.BLA03A01.xxxxxx(+1)' where XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy_ARG
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (or other) script that assigns fields from a line to multiple variables

Hey all, Unfortunately I have only basic knowledge of awk and/or scripting. If I have a file with lines that can look similar to this: Name=line1 Arg1=valueA Arg2=valueB Arg3=valueC Name=line2 Arg1=valueD Name=line3 Arg1=valueE Arg3=valueF Name=line4 Arg2=valueG ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rike255
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a delimited string and assign fields to incremented variables?

How can I read a string delimited on spaces and assign the fields to incremented variables. For example: Given $exts= txt dat mov I want to read in $exts and have "txt" "dat" and "mov" assigned to incremented variables like $ext1, $ext2, etc. I would like to do this in a loop so that I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runit
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set variables from fields in fields

Hi, This is my first post here and I am a newbie. :) I have a file that looks like this : Introduction:Intro_123.html Product definition:Prod_def.html System Setup:SSetup-64bit.html Setting up user accounts:Set_user_acc.html I tried to create a script that would output "The filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joq
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line by line and calculate the co-presence of variables

Hey guyz, I have a table which shows the presence or absence of my variables (A,B,C,...) in my observations (1,2,3,...) * A B C ... 1 1 0 1 2 1 1 0 3 1 0 0 ... I want to calculate the co-presence of my variables. to have a table shows the pairwise presence of the variables (have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Psql output into array and read 2 fields into different variables

Hello Just edited the entry to make it easier to understand what i want How can i achieve this: GOAL: read 2 field from a table with PSQL result of this PSQL command is this INSTALLEDLANG=$(su - postgres -c "psql -A -t -q -c -d ${DBNAME} -t -c 'SELECT code, iso_code from res_lang'") ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winston6071
0 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)