Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk Behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk Behavior Post 302978834 by bakunin on Thursday 4th of August 2016 02:17:26 PM
Old 08-04-2016
Even though this discussion about awk intrinsics is fascinating and my horizon was expanded (a collective "thank you" to you all in this thread), just for the record:

Wouldn't the usage of shell means (variable expansion or field splitting) be less costly than the use of an external program? I suppose thread-o/p does something with the values once he split them, something along the lines of:

Code:
awk -F',' '{print $1}' datafile | while read IP ; do ..... done

In such a case it might be easier to do:

Code:
while IFS=, read IP junk ; do ..... done < datafile

or, depending on what else is done:

Code:
while read LINE ; do
     IP="${LINE%,*}"
done < datafile

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ls behavior

I put this here because it is a 'behavior' type question.. I seem to remember doing ls .* and getting all the .-files, like .profile .login etc. But ls .* doesn't do that, it lsts the contents of every .*-type subdirectory. Is it supposed to? I should think that a -R should be given to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtleRamsli
10 Replies

2. Programming

Behavior of pthreads

Hi All, I ve written a small program to get started off with pthreads. I somehow feel the program doesnt meet the purpose. Please find the code and the output below. Please find my question at the bottom. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void *PrintThread1(void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhrraj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed behavior on hp-ux

the sed command: sed 's/^*//' file does not work on HP-UX :-( but it works fine on Linux, content of file: <tab><tab>hello output should be: hello Any ideas?? Thank you Andy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
8 Replies

4. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print behavior weird

Hi Experts I am facing a weird issue while using print statement in awk. I have a text file with 3 fields shown below: # cat f1 234,abc,1000 235,efg,2000 236,jih,3000 # When I print the third column alone, I dont face any issue as shown below: # awk '{print $3 }' FS=, f1 1000 2000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

7. AIX

LUN Behavior

Aix 6.1, working with a nim master and nim_altmaster both LPARS have access to the same data LUN, /nimdisk I do realize the risks of having 2 servers access the same LUN, however it serves the purpose of being able to restore mksysb's to/from our DR site if necessary, at least in theory ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of Vi

Hi there, I am a bit puzzled by a weird behavior of Vi. I very simply would like to add increased numbers in some files. Since I have many thousands entries per file and many files, I would like to macro it in vi. To do this, I enter the first number ("0001") on the first line and then yank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaination on Behavior of awk command

Hello Admin, Could you pls explain on the below behavior of the awk command. $ awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk '{print $NF}' | sort | tail -1 65 $var=`awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)