Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split a file based on encountering header Post 302978671 by drl on Tuesday 2nd of August 2016 11:50:18 AM
Old 08-02-2016
Hi.

Using upper-case letters as the pattern, consider items 2 and 7 from list below:
Code:
Split a text file into pieces, i.e. groups of lines:

1) split, standard, but many variants exist in systems
           split a file into pieces

2) csplit, standard
           split a file into sections determined by context lines

3) r3split (local, Ratio, iRregular, Random,
           specify numbers in groups, percentage, random set of lines)

4) pasplit (local, approximate, fast parallel-process split)

5) mmsplit (local, multi-method, by number of lines, groups, pattern))

6) scatter (local, regular number, like dealing a deck of playing cards)

7) ppt-split (local, csplit with perl patterns, Perl Power Tools)
           https://github.com/briandfoy/PerlPowerTools/blob/master/bin/split 

8) split_at_colchange (missing-text/local, add empty line when column changes)
        http://www1.cuni.cz/~obo/textutils/

9) gate (local, Group And Transfer Entries, into files by field pattern)

10) fsplit (local, split Fortran-77 into files by module name)

12) mfs (local, split Fortran routines into files by name, handles "module")

13) xsplit (local, explicit list of line numbers to files)

14) nsplit (local, into "s" parts - bytes, not lines)

15) bsplit (3rd/local, binary file with dd, originally named fsplit)

16) f90split (3rd/local, split Fortran-90 source)

Briefly:
Code:
pl " Results, csplit, second file:"
csplit --quiet --prefix=f -z $FILE '/^[A-Z]/' '{*}'
head f01

pl " Results, ppt-split, first file:"
ppt-split -p '^[A-Z]' $FILE
head x.aab

produces:
Code:
-----
 Results, csplit, second file:
DROP
matt
sam

-----
 Results, ppt-split, first file:
ADD
john
mickey

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large file and add header and footer to each file

I have one large file, after every 200 line i have to split the file and the add header and footer to each small file? It is possible to add different header and footer to each file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish4422
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large file and add header and footer to each small files

I have one large file, after every 200 line i have to split the file and the add header and footer to each small file? It is possible to add different header and footer to each file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish4422
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file content based on file header

Hi, I have several text files each containing some data as shown below: File1.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... File2.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... etc. What I want is to change the 'DataHeader' based on the file name. So the output should look like: File1.txt >File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the file content based on the Header of the file

Hi All, I want to remove the content based on the header information . Please find the example below. File1.txt Name|Last|First|Location|DepId|Depname|DepLoc naga|rr|tion|hyd|1|wer|opr Nava|ra|tin|gen|2|wera|opra I have to search for the DepId and remove the data from the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitution of fields based on header from another file

I have two files File1 with position (chromosome:start) and individuals as header, where pos is something like 1:2000 and every individual has a value. I have many columns and rows, here an example (tab separated): pos ind1 ind2 ind3 indn... 1:2000 0 0.1 0.1 1 1:2500 0.99 0.2 0.1 0.2 2:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split and add header and trailer from input file

I need to split the file based on pattern from position 34-37 while retaining the header and trailer records in each individual split file Also is it possible to output the TOM and PAT records in the same output file ? I need the output file names same as xyz_pattern_Datetimestamp.txt ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
23 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Split file with header and custom name

Hi, I am using SUN SOLARIS (SunOS sun4v sparc SUNW, T5240). I have a huge data file with header and trailer. This file gets used into an ETL process. ETL skips the header record (which is the first record of the file) and loads the rest of the record. The file can be delimited (comma,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file by column value, each with header

Hello all, I have a csv with with different testcase values in column 5. year,min,max,Instrument,Testcase 2016,201,1003,GEOTROPH-02116,TATA7980 2016,53,1011,GEOTROPH-01963,TATA7980 2016,3,1024,GEOTROPH-02067,TATA7980 2016,203,1027,GEOTROPH-02011,TATA7980... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find columns in a file based on header and print to new file

Hello, I have to fish out some specific columns from a file based on the header value. I have the list of columns I need in a different file. I thought I could read in the list of headers I need, # file with header names of required columns in required order headers_file=$2 # read contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large xml into mutiple files and with header and footer in file

Split large xml into mutiple files and with header and footer in file tried below it splits unevenly and also i need help in adding header and footer command : csplit -s -k -f my_XML_split.xml extrfile.xml "/<Document>/" {1} sample xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Recipient>... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik
36 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)