Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 swap device and filesystem Post 302977725 by javanoob on Thursday 21st of July 2016 11:19:11 AM
Old 07-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
trash ~= wipe

While as MadeInGermany already rightly stated, the swap command will ignore the fact a file system is present on the raw partition, I would nevertheless recommend to wipe the file system, at least enough for it not to be recognized as such, for example with:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxx bs=128k count=10

With /dev/xxx being the actual device storing the old file system (beware about mistake here!)
Hi Jilliagre,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your advice !
I have already change the swap disk to the partition.

Quote:
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/md/dsk/d50 85,3 16 209722592 209722592
Can I still do a dd to it ?
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md/dsk/50 bs=128k count=10

Regards,
Noob

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

device to filesystem?

On a HP-UX box, I can execute the sar command which will give me the device, %busy, etc. I would like to know how to take a given device name and determine on which filesystem it's located when I do a bdf. I've done some searching through the posts but so far have not had any luck in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimedwards
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap Device & Unix Disk Buffer

Does anyone know if when the Swap Device / Page file in unix is carrying out Page / Swap In's and Page / Swap outs, does it go through the Unix Disk Cache ( I am presuming raw partitions are not being used ) ? Therefore if there is paging activity on a system ( measured by sar -p, sar -g and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

translating device to filesystem in solaris10

Greetings, I have a oracle database server and i keep getting grid control message Metric=Disk Device Busy (%) Metric Value=98.66 Disk Device=ssd430 Severity=Critical Message=Disk Device ssd430 is 98.66% busy. so I am trying to correlate the ssd430 to the filesystem. I understand this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Force unmount of a SWAP filesystem left over from bad Live Upgrade

Hello, Long story short, we built an alternate boot env. back in July and applied the latest CPU to about 15 servers. Of the 15 servers, 7 servers failed to start the zones after the luactivate / reboot. The zones failed to rename from <zone>-<boot_env> back to <zone>. This is fixed in patch... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
16 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)