Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Efficient way to loop through list Post 302977629 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 20th of July 2016 04:23:21 PM
Old 07-20-2016
In bash or ksh93 you could use arrays, like so (keeping you col functions, but consolidating them into one:

Code:
varA="/var/tmp/hello_0_myapp
/var/tmp/mello_1_myapp
/var/tmp/jello_2_myapp
/var/tmp/fello_3_myapp"

oldIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n' 
arrA=( $varA )
IFS=$oldIFS

col() {
  eachfile=${arrA[$1]%%_*}
}

col 0; echo $eachfile
col 1; echo $eachfile
col 2; echo $eachfile
col 3; echo $eachfile

Output:
Code:
/var/tmp/hello
/var/tmp/mello
/var/tmp/jello
/var/tmp/fello

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop from list

is it possible to run a while loop by comparing a variable with a list ? taglist="<html> </html> <head> </head> <body> </body> <p> </p> <ul> </ul> <li> </li> <em> </em> <title> </title>" read newtag while ] do echo "Entry is not in list, please try again' read newtag done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use file as list in for loop...

Can I use a file as the list in a for loop? I tried it like this: workstation=( $(cat /home/me/file) ) for ws in $workstation do command done The contents of file are like: abc def ghi It only read the initial line. Does each item have to be quoted? Do they have to all be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List & While Loop

I want to store a set of string values in a 1-D array and then iterate the list by using a loop. Please help this dummy:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
1 Replies

4. AIX

Efficient coding / Alternates for "For" loop

Hi, I have the current script with the following code and it works ok. for i in `find . -name "???ABCEDFGH*"` do SESS_NO=`echo $i | awk -F "." '{print $3}'` rm -f $LOGDIR/${OT_QUEUEID}*${SESS_NO}.log 2>/dev/null rm -f $i 2>/dev/null done I want to remove the usage of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying list of backup files using for loop

Hi, I want to display list of last 10 backup files (with numbering) from the temporary file c:/tmp/tmp_list_bkp.txt Example : 1) backup_file1 2) backup_file2 3) backup_file3 ........ ........ I tried as below but not working. for file in c:/tmp/tmp_list_bkp.txt do echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop for a list of tab delimited variables

Hello, I need to run a command for a set of input variables that are present in a tab delimited file, a sample of which is shown below: 1 3749 1 4129 1 5980 2 6201 2 9925 2 6894 3 1338 3 6477 3 6242 3 3632 Every row represents the two input values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop(Iterate) through List with foreach(csh)

Hey all,, I know cshell is harmful:) but I am using this just "to know" - for educational purposes!... not for a long-term use. lets say i have a list.. set arr=(x y z e f) I wanna iterate the list with foreach ,, not with while.!! foreach i $arr echo $i end does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Iterate/Loop Through XML Node List

I need to load an XML file and loop through a list of nodes in it to execute a shell script for each one using the attributes for each node as parameters for the script. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bradlecat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp list of files using FOR LOOP in ksh

hi i want to scp files from remote server B to my local server A... and i have a file containing list of all files to be scped from remote server B there is a passwordless connectivity set between remote server and my local server. need a ksh script.. with a for loop that goes through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

More efficient for loop on files

is there a more efficient way to write the following code: for eachlfile in $(ls -ltcrd ${BACKUPDIR}/${BACKUPNAME}*/content_${BACKUPNAME}* 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $NF}') do echo "==========================" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2: Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3: Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4: Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)