Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Efficient way to loop through list Post 302977537 by Corona688 on Tuesday 19th of July 2016 01:55:17 PM
Old 07-19-2016
Anything will be more efficient than the echo | grep | sed | awk | kitchen | sink you have now, but the basic shell for loop is intended for exactly this situation:
Code:
for X in $VAR
do
        echo "$X"
done

Do not quote $VAR, it depends on it being split on spaces or newlines.

It'd be helpful to see how you're actually using col0(), col1(), etc too.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop from list

is it possible to run a while loop by comparing a variable with a list ? taglist="<html> </html> <head> </head> <body> </body> <p> </p> <ul> </ul> <li> </li> <em> </em> <title> </title>" read newtag while ] do echo "Entry is not in list, please try again' read newtag done... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use file as list in for loop...

Can I use a file as the list in a for loop? I tried it like this: workstation=( $(cat /home/me/file) ) for ws in $workstation do command done The contents of file are like: abc def ghi It only read the initial line. Does each item have to be quoted? Do they have to all be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List & While Loop

I want to store a set of string values in a 1-D array and then iterate the list by using a loop. Please help this dummy:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
1 Replies

4. AIX

Efficient coding / Alternates for "For" loop

Hi, I have the current script with the following code and it works ok. for i in `find . -name "???ABCEDFGH*"` do SESS_NO=`echo $i | awk -F "." '{print $3}'` rm -f $LOGDIR/${OT_QUEUEID}*${SESS_NO}.log 2>/dev/null rm -f $i 2>/dev/null done I want to remove the usage of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying list of backup files using for loop

Hi, I want to display list of last 10 backup files (with numbering) from the temporary file c:/tmp/tmp_list_bkp.txt Example : 1) backup_file1 2) backup_file2 3) backup_file3 ........ ........ I tried as below but not working. for file in c:/tmp/tmp_list_bkp.txt do echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop for a list of tab delimited variables

Hello, I need to run a command for a set of input variables that are present in a tab delimited file, a sample of which is shown below: 1 3749 1 4129 1 5980 2 6201 2 9925 2 6894 3 1338 3 6477 3 6242 3 3632 Every row represents the two input values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop(Iterate) through List with foreach(csh)

Hey all,, I know cshell is harmful:) but I am using this just "to know" - for educational purposes!... not for a long-term use. lets say i have a list.. set arr=(x y z e f) I wanna iterate the list with foreach ,, not with while.!! foreach i $arr echo $i end does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Iterate/Loop Through XML Node List

I need to load an XML file and loop through a list of nodes in it to execute a shell script for each one using the attributes for each node as parameters for the script. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bradlecat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp list of files using FOR LOOP in ksh

hi i want to scp files from remote server B to my local server A... and i have a file containing list of all files to be scped from remote server B there is a passwordless connectivity set between remote server and my local server. need a ksh script.. with a for loop that goes through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

More efficient for loop on files

is there a more efficient way to write the following code: for eachlfile in $(ls -ltcrd ${BACKUPDIR}/${BACKUPNAME}*/content_${BACKUPNAME}* 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $NF}') do echo "==========================" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
UPSLOG(8)							    NUT Manual								 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -f format Monitor the UPS using this format string. Be sure to enclose format in quotes so your shell doesn't split it up. Valid escapes within this string are: %% Insert a single "%" %TIME format% Insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% Insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battery.charge% %VAR input.voltage% %VAR ups.load% [%VAR ups.status%] %VAR ups.temperature% %VAR input.frequency% -i interval Wait this many seconds between polls. This defaults to 30 seconds. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient(3) library. -l logfile Store the results in this file. You can use "-" for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. -s ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". -u username If started as root, upsmon will setuid(2) to the user id associated with username for security. If username is not defined, it will use the value that was compiled into the program. This defaults to "nobody", which is less than ideal. SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep(3) after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval, depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its PID to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSLOG(8)