Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Just getting started with UNIX programming and administration Post 302977192 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 09:37:54 PM
Old 07-13-2016
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Note that this thread has been moved to the What is on your Mind? forum, since this is not a technical discussion topic.

Hi despiragado,
Welcome to the UNIX & Linux Forums. And, welcome to the world of UNIX-like operating systems. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

If you get stuck, start a new thread and
  1. show us the inputs you have,
  2. the outputs you want,
  3. describe the logic that should be used to convert your inputs into your desired outputs,
  4. show us any code you have written to try to reach your goal,
  5. show us the output the code you have written produces, and
  6. show us any diagnostic messages produced while running your code.
Don't assume that everyone will have read this thread. Tell us each time you start a new thread what operating system and shell you're using. (The capabilities of some utilities vary considerably from system to system and you are much more likely to get useful suggestions if we know what programming environment you're using.)

We're here to help you learn how to use the tools that are available to you on your new system to do whatever you want to do.

Welcome.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD Unix Administration...

Hello there ! I am little bit confuse about freeBSD and Sun Solaris, Susue, Mandrake. Is freeBSD is same like Sun Solaris ? i mean if i will have freeBSD software, i can administrator same like i am administring Unix O.S ? I want to be Unix Administrator, so if i will install freeBSD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do i get unix started

i am a total newbie...and want to learn unix....firstly...how do i get unix....if it is available on the internet then where is it?...and how do i get this to work then.....plz plz help asap...really desperate now thanx in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitanyamanot
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix

I am new to Unix and want to learn it thoroughly. From where can I download books/e-books and tutorials for free of charge:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started with Unix....

Hi all I'm a beginner in Unix world.I want to know from where i should start Book,E-Book.web site ,...etc by the way how many version does unix have? i should install which version? How to install it? and very important,is there any simulator for training purpose? for example can i install unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZarrinPour
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get started with Unix

I'm new in UNIX learning. Can you please guide me. How to get start and then step by step things in Unix. (I know all basic commands) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsha katre
5 Replies
MIXERCTL.CONF(5)					      BSD File Formats Manual						  MIXERCTL.CONF(5)

NAME
mixerctl.conf -- audio mixer configuration file SYNOPSIS
mixerctl.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/mixerctl.conf file consists of mixerctl(1) variables to set at boot time. Each line of mixerctl.conf has the following format: variable=value To generate a mixerctl.conf from the current mixer settings, execute: mixerctl -a > /etc/mixerctl.conf Set mixerctl to YES in rc.conf(5) to have the variables set at boot time. Additionally, you can have the settings saved and restored for the devices of your choice by listing them in mixerctl_mixers in rc.conf(5). FILES
/etc/mixerctl.conf EXAMPLES
Example mixer settings for an esa(4) audio adapter: outputs.master=255,255 outputs.master.mute=off outputs.mono=255 outputs.mono.mute=on outputs.mono.source=mixerout outputs.headphones=255,255 outputs.headphones.mute=off outputs.tone=255,255 inputs.speaker=255 inputs.speaker.mute=off inputs.phone=191 inputs.phone.mute=on inputs.mic=191 inputs.mic.mute=on inputs.mic.preamp=off inputs.mic.source=mic0 inputs.line=191,191 inputs.line.mute=on inputs.cd=191,191 inputs.cd.mute=on inputs.video=255,255 inputs.video.mute=off inputs.aux=255,255 inputs.aux.mute=off inputs.dac=191,191 inputs.dac.mute=off record.source=mic record.volume=255,255 record.volume.mute=off record.mic=0 record.mic.mute=off outputs.loudness=off outputs.spatial=off outputs.spatial.center=0 outputs.spatial.depth=0 SEE ALSO
mixerctl(1), rc.conf(5) HISTORY
The mixerctl.conf configuration file first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. BSD
April 5, 2003 BSD