Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search and Copy Files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and Copy Files Post 302977107 by RudiC on Tuesday 12th of July 2016 04:50:32 PM
Old 07-12-2016
I'm not sure if there should be ANY regular files in the /dev directory...
And, how can /dev/abc/xyz/a_2_123020131.log result in a copy /dev/abc/xyz/copy/a_2_12302013.log?

Latest compared by files' time stamps or file name elements? Can there be duplicate file names across directories, and what to do in such case?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search files and copy them to a directory with datestamp attached to it

Hi I need to search the some ftp files created in last 24 hours and copy them to a directory with date stamp attached to it. Iam using following command to search the files find $CA_OUT_PATH/*/ftp_out -type f -mtime -1 but now how to copy these files to some other directory one by one with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files and copy them to a directory with datestamp attacched to it

Hi I need to search the some ftp files created in last 24 hours and copy them to a directory with date stamp attached to it. Iam using following command to search the files find $CA_OUT_PATH/*/ftp_out -type f -mtime -1 but now how to copy these files to some other directory one by one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and copy to a new file-Help

Hi All, server16.na.in.com UNKNOWN ftpuser "CWD" dms-imrm/Delasco_Invoices_DayForward_Scan" 250 - server16.na.in.com UNKNOWN ftpuser "PWD" 257 - server16.na.in.com UNKNOWN ftpuser "CWD Private" 250 - server16.na.in.com UNKNOWN ftpuser "PWD" 257 - server16.na.in.com UNKNOWN... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, copy and paste

Can i search in a file for more than one string at a time? And copy the next string after that and paste it in column style? Is it possible? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to search and copy files

Hello Im new to this forums, I would like some help regarding a script that I need in order to copy some files. Heres the scenario: I need to search several files which have a particular code inside, lets say "test" all of them on different directories. I need to copy all of them on a new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c.watson
4 Replies

6. SuSE

Search all files based on first and in all listed files search the second patterns

Hello Linux Masters, I am not a linux expert therefore i need help from linux gurus. Well i have a requirement where i need to search all files based on first patterns and after seraching all files then serach second pattern in all files which i have extracted based on first pattern.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Black-Linux
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - search/copy from one file and search/paste to another

I am a newbie and would like some help with the following - Trying to search fileA for a string similar to - AS11000022010 30.4 31.7 43.7 53.8 60.5 71.1 75.2 74.7 66.9 56.6 42.7 32.5 53.3 I then want to replace that string with a string from fileB - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and copy files based on todays date and search for a particular string

Hi All, I am new to shell srcipting. Problem : I need to write a script which copy the log files from /prod/logs directory based on todays date like (Jul 17) and place it to /home/hzjnr0 directory and then search the copied logfiles for the string "@ending successfully on Thu Jul 17". If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail.chiranjit
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search and copy files

HI everyone, I been to this site before for help and found my answers on other threads now I am posting my own :). I have a list of file names with out extensions on an txt file. I need a way for the script to search on the server for each file name and copy the files over to a new directory.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergiol
12 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)						   User Commands					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - search for files SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [--named=text] [--path=folder] [--sortby=order] [--descending] [--contains=string] [--user=user] [--nouser] [--allmounts] [--empty] [--follow] [--group=group] [--hidden] [--mtimeless=date] [--mtimemore=date] [--notnamed=filename] [--regex=pattern] [--size- less=size] [--sizemore=size] [--start] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Search for Files application enables you to search for files on your system. Search for Files uses the find(1) command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --allmounts Select the 'Search other filesystems' search constraint. --contains=string Select the 'Contains the text' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --descending Set sort order to descending. The default sort order is ascending. --empty Select the 'File is empty' search constraint. --follow Select the 'Follow symbolic links' search constraint. --group=group Select the 'Owned by group' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --hidden Select the 'Show hidden and backup files' search option. --mtimeless=date Select the 'Date modified before (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimemore=date Select the 'Date modified after (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --named=text Set the text of the 'Name contains' search option. --notnamed=filename Select the 'File is not named' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --nouser Select the 'Owner is unrecognized' search constraint. --path=folder Set the text of the 'Look in folder' entry. Defaults to the current working directory. --start Automatically start a search. --regex=pattern Select the 'File matches regular expression' search constraint and set the text of that entry. See find(1) for more details about the regular expression patterns that can be used. --sizeless=size Select the 'Size is less than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sizemore=size Select the 'Size is more than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sortby=order Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date. --user=user Select the 'Owned by user' search constraint and set the text of that entry. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Performing a basic search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --name=a.out --path=$HOME --autostart Example 2: Performing an advanced search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --contains=unistd.h --mtimeless=3 --sortby=size --autostart EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool Executable for Search for Files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-search-tool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Search for Files Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. find(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2006. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-search-tool(1)