Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to cut a specific pattern from a line Post 302976979 by RudiC on Sunday 10th of July 2016 04:40:42 AM
Old 07-10-2016
Not too clear what you really want. Based on what I infer, try
Code:
awk -F, '/false/ && match ($0, /http:\/\/[^\/]*\/[^\/]*/) {print $3, substr ($0, RSTART, RLENGTH)}' file3
something_error http://xxx:000/abcd

Last edited by RudiC; 07-10-2016 at 06:11 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge columns into one line after a specific pattern

Hi all, im a linux newbie, plz help! I have a file - box -------- Fox-2 -------- UF29 zip42 -------- zf-CW SNF2_N Heli_Z -------- Fox -------- Kel_1 box (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut a specific line

Hi, I need to remove a specific line from a file.. For eg: From the html codings, I need to find the word "iframe frameborder" and cut it . I tried with find . -type f -exec grep -H 'iframe frameborder' {} \; > <filename> From the output of this result, I need to remove the "iframe... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut specific line and one line under?

Hi guys, I need to analyze the following alert log file: Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA , SCN: 3916025539605 Sat May 1 00:54:52 2010 Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 271423 (LGWR switch) Current log# 1 seq# 271423 mem# 0: /dw/stg_redo01/log_dwstg_g1_m1.log Current log# 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut specific pattern

Hi i want to cut a variable like if it is ABCDEF then i want to cut "DEF" only Please help me regarding this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
1 Replies

6. Programming

Print specific pattern line in c++

Input file: @HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC +HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 TNTTJTTTETceJSP__VRJea`_NfcefbWe Desired output file: >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk, cut, to extract specific data from line

Hi guys, I have been trying to do this, but... no luck so maybe you can help me. I have a line like this: Total Handled, Received, on queue Input Mgs: 140 / 14 => 0 I need to, get the number after the / until the =, to get only 14 . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in line below specific pattern?

Hi, I'm trying to replace a string with sed, in a text file containing this pattern: location alpha value x location beta value y location gamma value y location delta value y location theta value z ... What I want to achieve is: Find location beta into text file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECK
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the line with specific pattern

Hello All I'm trying to change one string from a file contening this patern: xxxx-xxxx 4 numbers - end 4 other numbers This is a sample of the file: LDR 00679 am a2200205 4500 =001 3617 =008 030219s2000\\\\xxx|||||\||||\00|\0\spa\d =020 \\$a0211-1942 =041 \\$aCastellà =093 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)