Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A system deletes my .bashrc file Post 302976976 by Don Cragun on Saturday 9th of July 2016 08:29:37 PM
Old 07-09-2016
I assume you meant predictably instead of predictability... What happens that enables you to predict that your .bashrc file will be deleted the next time you reboot OS X? Is it that if you perform some specific action, the file will disappear the next time you reboot? If so, what actions do you perform before the reboot that makes your .bashrc disappear?

Are you sure it is the reboot that causes the file to disappear? It could easily be that something you are doing removes your .bashrc file while you are actively running bash and you just won't notice that it is gone until the next time you reboot (or log out and log in again). Try running the command:
Code:
ls -l $HOME/.bashrc

just before you log out or reboot your system every time you log out or reboot your system.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation

I search the web and found the following statements ..... The /etc/profile file is a system wide initialization script which is run at login time for each user, while .profile is the users own login initialization. The .bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that deletes files.

I want to write a script that deletes files inside the dir. However, the script should also allow the user to confirm by pressing (d) key before deleting files.. #!/bin/bash for file in $1/* do size='ls -l $file | cut -f 5 -d " "' name='ls -l $file | cut -f 9 -d " "' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herberwz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

7. Slackware

Thunderbird 3.1.9 deletes from drafts

I am using Tbird as it came with Slackware 13.37 and everytime I send something I get a message 1 or 2 drafts deleted. Should it be doing that? If not has this been reported ? How can I find out if it was reported? I have no drafts to delete. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

8. Solaris

rm -rf not able deletes file but not the directory

i am trying to remove a directory using rm -rf command but its not getting removed.. it doesnt throw any error also.. i am logging as the owner of the dir and removing it but still no luck.. i am able remove a file but not a directory. i am using solaris 10 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashrc File - Conditional Command Execution?

Hello All, I was wondering if there is a way to execute a command in my ".bashrc" file based on how I logged into the PC? I was thinking maybe there is a way to check how the user (*myself) logged in, maybe somehow with the who command along with something else, but I'm not sure... I know I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - reboot the system SYNOPSIS
time] message] time] message] DESCRIPTION
The command terminates all currently executing processes except those essential to the system, then reboots the system, or halts, or makes the partition ready for reconfiguration. When invoked without arguments, syncs all disks before rebooting the system. Options The command recognizes the following options: Shut down the system and halt. Shut down the system and reboot automatically (default). Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and reboot if possible. If the partition is unable to reboot, it will stop at a ready-to-reconfigure state. However, if the option is also specified, the system will always stop at ready-to-reconfigure state. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and do not reboot. This option can be used only in combination with the option. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Do not sync the file systems before shutdown. The and options are ignored with this option. Sync the file systems before shutdown; for file systems that were cleanly mounted, modify the flag from to (default). Quick and quiet. Suppress broadcast of warning messages, terminate processes by brute force (with and immediately call with arguments as indicated by the other options (see reboot(2)). No logging is performed. The and options are ignored with this option. Specify what time will bring the system down. time can be the word (indicating immediate shutdown) or a future time in one of two for- mats: and The first form brings the system down in number minutes; the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (based on a 24-hour clock). Display message at the terminals of all users on the system at decreasing intervals as reboot time approaches. The message must not contain any embedded double quotes. At shutdown time a message is written in the file (if it exists), containing the time of shutdown, who ran and the reason. Only users with appropriate privileges can execute the command. WARNINGS
does not invoke the shutdown scripts associated with subsystems to bring them down in a cautious manner. See shutdown(1M). If the option is used in a virtual partition environment on a partitionable system, then the requested reconfiguration will not take place until all the virtual partitions on that hard partition are shut down and the virtual partition monitor is rebooted. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Shutdown log SEE ALSO
vpartition(1), reboot(2), partition(5). reboot(1M)