Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: POSIX compliance...
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) POSIX compliance... Post 302976763 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 5th of July 2016 11:16:14 PM
Old 07-06-2016
Hi Barry,

That looks quite neat and Posixy!

Some comments and ideas:
  • The sleep command is not used in a POSIX compliant ways, since it gets fed a float here, and in POSIX it can only handle integers. An alternative is maybe to fill the hourglass more or less from the start, depending on the number of minutes / seconds, and compensate the rest with the first sleep command.
  • Instead of using awk to cut the first 6 characters you could use "${platform%"${platform#??????}"}" or better yet, replace the if statements with one case statement and use it pattern matching capability CYGWIN*), so you do not need to cut the platform string.
  • The awk command substitutions in the 2nd for loop take time and will skew the time slightly. An alternative is to use parameter expansions or predefine the strings so that it does not add as much to the time used by the sleep commands..
  • Perhaps you could have a seconds countdown instead of the static number.
  • If more time is entered than what the hourglass can handle, graphically turn the hourglass (nice scripting challenge?)
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo & Sox compliance

Hello, I am trying to convince my boss to stop allowing our users to login as root (superuser). Currently our users login to our unix server with their own account, then as needed, they will do an su and put in the root password. This scares me, for a bunch of reasons. Mainly, one is that we... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rwallaceisg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man synopsis standard compliance

In different online sources, I found bits and pieces of information about those square and angular brackets and pipes. From what I have read, I can conclude it looks like this: 1. Options outside any brackets are mandatory 2. Options inside these < .. > are mandatory too 3. Options inside ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkleban
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

PCI DSS Compliance : Insecure Communication Has Been Detected

From the nessus scanner tool report i got below vulnerability PCI DSS Compliance : Insecure Communication Has Been Detected http://www.tenable.com/plugins/index.php?view=single&id=56208 As per the description given in above link - I am not able to understand How to find insecure port... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Looking for PCI Compliance tool for Redhat Lix.

Hi i am in new to Linux world . I have been assigned to a project to find out a tool that will fulfill the PCI compliance for Linux servers for Audit process. anyone have any recommendation on that. Do Rad hat have any native application or plug-ins which we can use for that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahasuman
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Password compliance setting

I need to set password compliance for some servers in my company. However, the requirements are that we need to set different password policies for 3 different user groups within the company. These are : System Users: i.e root, etc Batch/Application Users: oracle, bscs, etc Standard User:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies
sleep(1)							   User Commands							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - suspend execution for an interval SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/sleep /usr/bin/sleep time ksh93 sleep time DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/sleep sleep suspends execution for at least the integral number of seconds specified by time. ksh93 sleep suspends execution for at least the time in seconds specified by time or until a SIGALRM signal is received. OPERANDS
/usr/bin/sleep The following operands are supported for /usr/bin/sleep: time time in seconds can be specified as a non-negative decimal integer number. ksh93 The following operands are supported: time Specify time in seconds as a floating point number. The actual granularity depends on the underlying system, normally around 1 mil- lisecond. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Suspending Command Execution The following example executes a command after a certain amount of time: example% (sleep 105; command)& Example 2 Executing a Command Every So Often The following example executes a command every so often: example% while true do command sleep 37 done ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of sleep: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The execution was successfully suspended for at least time seconds, or a SIGALRM signal was received (see NOTES). >0 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/sleep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), wait(1), alarm(2), sleep(3C), wait(3UCB), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
If the sleep utility receives a SIGALRM signal, one of the following actions is taken: o Terminate normally with a zero exit status. o Effectively ignore the signal. The sleep utility takes the standard action for all other signals. SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 sleep(1)