Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is wrong with file permission? Post 302976426 by bakunin on Wednesday 29th of June 2016 08:21:59 AM
Old 06-29-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
a) You have a read-only filesystem
b) selinux is tut-tutting at you.
c) There are ACLs in place, like there seem to be:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x.  6 root    root       4096 Jun 28 06:14 security

The dot at the end of the filemode display is indicative of ACLs (access control lists) being in place for this file. Please report the output of the aclget [/path/to/]security command.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if [ -s $File ] ; Whats wrong in this ??

Subject="QM DOWN : Daily Monitoring Report " MAIL_RECIPIENTS="someone@some.where" dspmq > tempdspmq.txt.$$ cat tempdspmq.txt.$$ sed -n '/Running/p' tempdspmq.txt.$$ > temp cat temp if then echo "1 DONE" cat "$/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/temp" | mailx -s "$Subject" $MAIL_RECIPIENTS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Wrong rotate permission

Hali All, I have a big problem. (REDHAT) I have a logrotate definition for wtmp: /var/log/wtmp { monthly minsize 1M create 0644 root utmp rotate 9 } There is a line for create the file with 0644 permission. If I run the definition manually it works as well, but when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalaso
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission

Only kernel can write to a directory file. Then what does write permission for a directory imply? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File command return wrong filetype while file holds group separator char.

hi, I am trying to get the FileType using the File command. I have one file, which holds Group separator along with ASCII character. It's a Text file. But when I ran the File command the FileType is coming as "data". It should be "ASCII, Text file". Is the latest version of File... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpitak29
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output when writing to file

Hello, I am having problem while redirecting output to a file where as on console output is proper. for dir in */; do printf "%s, " "$dir"; ls -m "$dir"; echo; done > output.txt Output of above command is coming in single line but when i am redirecting output to a file, single line i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manoj Rajput
10 Replies

9. Solaris

File created with wrong timestamp

Hi All, We are working on solaris 10. I create a file using touch command and when list the file, it does not shows the right timestamp. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify lines with wrong format in a file and fix

Gurus, I have a data file which has a certain number of columns say 101. It has one description column which contains foreign characters and due to this some times, those special characters are translated to new line character and resulting in failing the process. I am using the following awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumsri
4 Replies
filetest(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     filetest(3pm)

NAME
filetest - Perl pragma to control the filetest permission operators SYNOPSIS
$can_perhaps_read = -r "file"; # use the mode bits { use filetest 'access'; # intuit harder $can_really_read = -r "file"; } $can_perhaps_read = -r "file"; # use the mode bits again DESCRIPTION
This pragma tells the compiler to change the behaviour of the filetest permission operators, "-r" "-w" "-x" "-R" "-W" "-X" (see perlfunc). The default behaviour of file test operators is to use the simple mode bits as returned by the stat() family of system calls. However, many operating systems have additional features to define more complex access rights, for example ACLs (Access Control Lists). For such environments, "use filetest" may help the permission operators to return results more consistent with other tools. The "use filetest" or "no filetest" statements affect file tests defined in their block, up to the end of the closest enclosing block (they are lexically block-scoped). Currently, only the "access" sub-pragma is implemented. It enables (or disables) the use of access() when available, that is, on most UNIX systems and other POSIX environments. See details below. Consider this carefully The stat() mode bits are probably right for most of the files and directories found on your system, because few people want to use the additional features offered by access(). But you may encounter surprises if your program runs on a system that uses ACLs, since the stat() information won't reflect the actual permissions. There may be a slight performance decrease in the filetest operations when the filetest pragma is in effect, because checking bits is very cheap. Also, note that using the file tests for security purposes is a lost cause from the start: there is a window open for race conditions (who is to say that the permissions will not change between the test and the real operation?). Therefore if you are serious about security, just try the real operation and test for its success - think in terms of atomic operations. Filetests are more useful for filesystem administrative tasks, when you have no need for the content of the elements on disk. The "access" sub-pragma UNIX and POSIX systems provide an abstract access() operating system call, which should be used to query the read, write, and execute rights. This function hides various distinct approaches in additional operating system specific security features, like Access Control Lists (ACLs) The extended filetest functionality is used by Perl only when the argument of the operators is a filename, not when it is a filehandle. Limitation with regard to "_" Because access() does not invoke stat() (at least not in a way visible to Perl), the stat result cache "_" is not set. This means that the outcome of the following two tests is different. The first has the stat bits of /etc/passwd in "_", and in the second case this still contains the bits of "/etc". { -d '/etc'; -w '/etc/passwd'; print -f _ ? 'Yes' : 'No'; # Yes } { use filetest 'access'; -d '/etc'; -w '/etc/passwd'; print -f _ ? 'Yes' : 'No'; # No } Of course, unless your OS does not implement access(), in which case the pragma is simply ignored. Best not to use "_" at all in a file where the filetest pragma is active! As a side effect, as "_" doesn't work, stacked filetest operators ("-f -w $file") won't work either. This limitation might be removed in a future version of perl. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 filetest(3pm)