Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help on for loop in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on for loop in bash Post 302975814 by Ra26k on Sunday 19th of June 2016 08:04:42 AM
Old 06-19-2016
Lightbulb Help on for loop in bash

Hi,

In the code "for loop" has been used to search for files (command line arguments) in directories and then produce the result to the standard output. However, I want when no files are named on the command line, it should read a list of files from standard input and it should use the command line arguments when given.

It can be done with "read" command by modifying the code, however, I am not able to make it work with both. I mean I want the code to work for both ways (reading standard input when no command line arguments are given and reading command line arguments when given).

Don't want to go for another block of "for loop" for both the conditions. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.....Thanks.

Code:
#! /bin/sh
#
# Search for one or more ordinary files or file patterns on a search
# path defined by a specified environment variable.
#
# The output on standard output is normally either the full path
# to the first instance of each file found on the search path,
# or "filename: not found" on standard error.
#
# The exit code is 0 if all files are found, and otherwise a
# nonzero value equal to the number of files not found (subject
# to the shell exit code limit of 125).
#
# Usage:
# pathfind [--all] [--?] [--help] [--version] envvar pattern(s)
#
# With the --all option, every directory in the path is
# searched, instead of stopping with the first one found.

IFS='
'
OLDPATH="$PATH"
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
export PATH
error( )
{
echo "$@" 1>&2
usage_and_exit 1
}

usage( )
{
echo "Usage: $PROGRAM [--all] [--?] [--help] [--version] envvar pattern(s)"
}

usage_and_exit( )
{
usage
exit $1
}

version( )
{
echo "$PROGRAM version $VERSION"
}

warning( )
{
echo "$@" 1>&2
EXITCODE=`expr $EXITCODE + 1`
}

all=no
envvar=
EXITCODE=0
PROGRAM=`basename $0`
VERSION=1.0

while test $# -gt 0
do
  case $1 in
	--all | --al | --a | -all | -al | -a )
	all=yes
	;;
	--help | --hel | --he | --h | '--?' | -help | -hel | -he | -h | '-?' )
	usage_and_exit 0
	;;
	--version | --versio | --versi | --vers | --ver | --ve | --v | \
	-version | -versio | -versi | -vers | -ver | -ve | -v )
	version
	exit 0
	;;
	-*)
	error "Unrecognized option: $1"
	;;
	*)
	break
	;;
  esac
  shift
done

envvar="$1"
test $# -gt 0 && shift
test "x$envvar" = "xPATH" && envvar=OLDPATH

dirpath=`eval echo '${'"$envvar"'}' 2>/dev/null | tr : ' ' `

# sanity checks for error conditions
if test -z "$envvar"
  then
  error Environment variable missing or empty
  elif test "x$dirpath" = "x$envvar"
  then
  error "Broken sh on this platform: cannot expand $envvar"
  elif test -z "$dirpath"
  then
  error Empty directory search path
  elif test $# -eq 0
  then
  exit 0
fi

# loop over argument files or patterns and directories in the search path

for pattern in "$@"
do
  result=
  for dir in $dirpath
  do
    for file in $dir/$pattern
    do
      if test -f "$file"
      then
      result="$file"
      echo $result
      test "$all" = "no" && break 2
      fi
    done
  done
  test -z "$result" && warning "$pattern: not found"
done

# Limit exit status to 125
test $EXITCODE -gt 125 && EXITCODE=125
exit $EXITCODE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple loop in Bash

Hi, I want to do a simple loop where I have one column of text in a file and I want the loop to read each line of the file and do a simple command. The text file will be something like this: hostname1 hostname2 hostname3 hostname4 I am using Bash and have already come up with this to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with for loop in bash

I'm trying to do a script where I want to see if all users home directories are only writable by owner. However, in my script I do not know how to implement the for loop so that all directories are checked. In mine, I am only checking the permissions for the first directory found. I do know that a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: detatchedd
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If loop in bash

Hello, I have a script that runs a series of commands. Halfway through the script, I want it to check whether everything is going alright: if it is, to proceed with the script, if it isn't to repeat the last step until it gets it right. My code so far looks like this, simplified a bit: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with 3 variable bash loop

Hi all! I think someone might be able to solve my problem pretty easily. I am trying to run a bash loop with 3 variables. I know how to do: for var1 in `cat list1`; do for var2 in `cat list2`; do for var3 in `cat list3`; command var1 var2 > var3; done; done; done However, this will run all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash For Loop Help

This is a short program I wrote to search through a directory and move files containing the keyword to a folder. #!/bin/bash echo 'What is the directory?' read DIR echo -e '\n' echo 'What is the keyword?' read KEY echo -e '\n' cd $DIR rmdir 'relevant_files' mkdir 'relevant_files'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenyoul
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell loop - Help !

Dear all Linux lover, I am a new learner to Bash Shell script and I would like to writing a script to to repeat my script. This mean I would like to have multiple same of result after running the .sh. ####### TIMES_NO=0 echo -n "Please enter the number for times to repeat ?" read... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocky888
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed up bash loop?

I am running the below bash loop on all the files of a specific type (highlighted in bold) in a directory. There are 4 awk commands that use the input files to search another and look for a match. The input files range from 27 - 259 and are a list of names. The file that is searched is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)