Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Matrix with Percentage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matrix with Percentage Post 302975657 by Don Cragun on Thursday 16th of June 2016 02:46:47 PM
Old 06-16-2016
OK. Seeing your code and the output it produces makes it very clear that none of the sample input files you have shown us in the past in this thread were used as input to this script. You have never said that your input files contain an additional field at the start of each line that is to be ignored by your script. Your descriptions up until now have said that you are looking at the stings in the first two fields in your input, but your script never looks at the first field in your input file; it only looks at the second and third fields in your input.

You have now shown us your script and the output it produces. Thank you for both.

Now, PLEASE show us three more things:
  1. the input that was given to your script to produce the output you supplied in post #7 in this thread,
  2. the output that you WANT your script to produce (including the percentages that you want to be produced), and
  3. a clear description of what determines whether or not the string in field three of your input file is "similar" to the string in field two of your input file. (Is the requirement that the string in field 3 is a substring of field 2 where the comparison performed is case insensitive?)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk percentage

how would you calculate percentage by per line? Given a column of 16 lines, grab each line and divide it by the sum of the entire column and multiply by 100? thanks ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

percentage

How to calculate percentage of two values in unix. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

diagonal matrix to square matrix

Hello, all! I am struggling with a short script to read a diagonal matrix for later retrieval. 1.000 0.234 0.435 0.123 0.012 0.102 0.325 0.412 0.087 0.098 1.000 0.111 0.412 0.115 0.058 0.091 0.190 0.045 0.058 1.000 0.205 0.542 0.335 0.054 0.117 0.203 0.125 1.000 0.587 0.159 0.357... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
11 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How to convert full data matrix to linearised left data matrix?

Hi all, Is there a way to convert full data matrix to linearised left data matrix? e.g full data matrix Bh1 Bh2 Bh3 Bh4 Bh5 Bh6 Bh7 Bh1 0 0.241058 0.236129 0.244397 0.237479 0.240767 0.245245 Bh2 0.241058 0 0.240594 0.241931 0.241975 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: evoll
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk? adjacency matrix to adjacency list / correlation matrix to list

Hi everyone I am very new at awk but think that that might be the best strategy for this. I have a matrix very similar to a correlation matrix and in practical terms I need to convert it into a list containing the values from the matrix (one value per line) with the first field of the line (row... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonkey
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage calculation

i am trying to get percentage : but not able to do it: i tried : x=1 y=2 z=`expr $x/$y*100` it is not giving me result can u pls help on this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage of occurence

Dear all, I have data like below and i need to add coloumn before the COUNT field to see the Percentage out of all COUNT field value for respective raw. ============================================= COUNT CODE sConnType tConnType... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iroshan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to monitor OS in percentage

Hi, I am looking for generic commands / scripts that could run across platforms especially on HP Itanium boxes to give me % of free OS parameters For eg: Free Total Memory RAM : 20 % Free Total Swap Memory: 35% Free Total CPU utilisation: 44% Free Disk Space: /appl = 55%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate percentage of columns greater than certain value in a matrix using awk

This matrix represents correlation values. Is it possible to calculate the percentage of columns (a1, a2, a3) that have a value >= |0.5| and report the percentage that has positive correlation >0.5 and negative correlation <-0.5 separately. thanx in advance! input name a1 a2 a3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage calculation

Hi, I have a text file in below format. I trying to find a solution for finding percentage used for each of the NAMEs. Directory ALLOCATED USED NAME1 93MB 93KB NAME2 25G 62K NAME3 14G 873M NAME4 25G 62K NAME5 20G... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
10 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-j file_number field] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. (The argument to -a must not be preceded by a space; see the COMPATIBILITY section.) -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. (To distinguish between this and -a file_number, join currently requires that the latter not include any white space.) -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form ``file_num- ber.field_number'' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named ``1.2''. These options are available only so historic shell scripts don't require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD