Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple Results of Grep in one Line/String? Post 302975235 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of June 2016 03:02:48 PM
Old 06-09-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordMaster
when i write
echo $RESULTS
it gives me the results in multple lines.
That is very odd. By doing echo $RESULTS without double quotes around $RESULTS, it should have flattened all whitespace for you. echo "$RESULTS" would show it on several lines but echo $RESULTS should not. Have you changed the value of IFS anywhere in your script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Grep Results - Formatting

Hello, Perhaps someone here can help with this. I'd like to grep a plain text file for a word and output each line containing a word found to a seperate line instead of back to back. Examples: Basic command: cat file.txt > grep -i CAT > results.txt file.txt: The cat said meow The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and print a string from the line below it

I know how to grep, copy and paste a string from a line. Now, what i want to do is to find a string and print a string from the line below it. To demonstrate: Name 1: ABC Age: 3 Sex: Male Name 2: DEF Age: 4 Sex: Male Output: 3 Male I know how to get "3". My biggest problem is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying the Second Line of the Grep Search Results

Hi I really hope someone can help with the below question. Lets say that I have a file called output.txt and I want to display all of the lines which contain the word ‘disconnect'. I know that this can easily be obtained by using the following command: grep -i disconnect output.txt However,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunny Sid
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and write a value to next line of found string

Hi, I have two variables x and y. i need to find a particular string in a file, a workflow name and then insert the values of x and y into the next lines of the workflow name. basically it is like as below wf_xxxxxx $$a= $$b= $$c= figo $$d=bentley i need to grep the 'wf_xxxx' and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple results as input to grep or awk

Hi: This is my first post in this forum. apologies if I am asking question that has been asked here multiple times. I wrote a python script that prints list of identifiers. I have another file notoriously big and with no particular format. I plan to search the identifiers in this file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriolebaltimore
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep for multiple string

im learning grep and i need some help. i have input word file like this fish map.this is go to.that is i want sed,awk or grep command to extract the following in this format someword SPACE someword.so output will be fish map. go to.Please use CODE tags as required by forum... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
11 Replies
POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)

NAME
POE::Filter::Grep - select or remove items based on simple rules SYNOPSIS
#!perl use POE qw( Wheel::FollowTail Filter::Line Filter::Grep Filter::Stackable ); POE::Session->create( inline_states => { _start => sub { my $parse_input_as_lines = POE::Filter::Line->new(); my $select_sudo_log_lines = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Put => sub { 1 }, Get => sub { my $input = shift; return $input =~ /sudo[d+]/i; }, ); my $filter_stack = POE::Filter::Stackable->new( Filters => [ $parse_input_as_lines, # first on get, last on put $select_sudo_log_lines, # first on put, last on get ] ); $_[HEAP]{tailor} = POE::Wheel::FollowTail->new( Filename => "/var/log/system.log", InputEvent => "got_log_line", Filter => $filter_stack, ); }, got_log_line => sub { print "Log: $_[ARG0] "; } } ); POE::Kernel->run(); exit; DESCRIPTION
POE::Filter::Grep selects or removes items based on simple tests. It may be used to filter input, output, or both. This filter is named and modeled after Perl's built-in grep() function. POE::Filter::Grep is designed to be combined with other filters through POE::Filter::Stackable. In the "SYNOPSIS" example, a filter stack is created to parse logs as lines and remove all entries that don't pertain to a sudo process. (Or if your glass is half full, the stack only selects entries that DO mention sudo.) PUBLIC FILTER METHODS
In addition to the usual POE::Filter methods, POE::Filter::Grep also supports the following. new new() constructs a new POE::Filter::Grep object. It must either be called with a single Code parameter, or both a Put and a Get parameter. The values for Code, Put, and Get are code references that, when invoked, return true to select an item or false to reject it. A Code function will be used for both input and output, while Get and Put functions allow input and output to be filtered in different ways. The item in question will be passed as the function's sole parameter. sub reject_bidoofs { my $pokemon = shift; return 1 if $pokemon ne "bidoof"; return; } my $gotta_catch_nearly_all = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Code => &reject_bidoofs, ); Enforce read-only behavior: my $read_only = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { 0 }, ); modify modify() changes a POE::Filter::Grep object's behavior at run-time. It accepts the same parameters as new(), and it replaces the existing tests with new ones. # Don't give away our Dialgas. $gotta_catch_nearly_all->modify( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { return shift() ne "dialga" }, ); SEE ALSO
POE::Filter for more information about filters in general. POE::Filter::Stackable for more details on stacking filters. BUGS
None known. AUTHORS &; COPYRIGHTS The Grep filter was contributed by Dieter Pearcey. Documentation is provided by Rocco Caputo. Please see the POE manpage for more information about authors and contributors. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)