Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files to match file list pattern Post 302975195 by lxdorney on Thursday 9th of June 2016 06:40:33 AM
Old 06-09-2016
Yes thanks for the advice, really appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files after internal search pattern

Hello all I am trying to do a script that would allow me to mass rename files after a grep search within them. They are XML files and the pattern I would like to append to the file name is easy to find (e.g. <filename>foo</filename>), but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK match $1 $2 pattern in file 1 to $1 $2 pattern in file2

Hi, I have 2 files that I have modified to basically match each other, however I want to determine what (if any) line in file 1 does not exist in file 2. I need to match column $1 and $2 as a single string in file1 to $1 and $2 in file2 as these two columns create a match. I'm stuck in an AWK... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files that do not match pattern

Hi all, I do not have programming experience and mostly use one-liner or sometimes more to get the job done. I am having problem to batch rename the files that do not match a particular pattern. Sample file-names from directory: Meeting_Packages.pdf 13_textfile0 19_textfile0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using partial match to another

In the below I am trying to rename the contents within each data subfolder in a specific run, based on a partial match of the IonCode_0000_ in each file in the data subdirectory to $1 in f1. There will be multiple runs in f1 but each run in $uniq is unique and will be found in f1 and the rename... (27 Replies)
27 Replies
folders(1mh)															      folders(1mh)

Name
       folders - list folders and contents

Syntax
       folders [ +folder ] [ msg ] [ options ]

Description
       The command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain.

The  command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory.	The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line.  This
       is illustrated in the following example:
	 Folder      # of messages (  range  ); cur  msg  (other files)
	   V2.3  has	3 messages (   1-   3).
	 adrian  has   20 messages (   1-  20); cur=   2.
	  brian  has   16 messages (   1-  16).
	  chris  has   12 messages (   1-  12).
	copylog  has  242 messages (   1- 242); cur= 225.
	  inbox+ has   73 messages (   1- 127); cur= 127.
	    int  has	4 messages (   1-   4); cur=   2  (others).
	   jack  has   17 messages (   1-  17); cur=  17.

TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders.
       The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder.  The information about the folder includes the term (others).   This
       indicates  that the folder contains files which are not messages.  These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under
       the MH file naming scheme.

The command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the command.

If you use with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder.  as shown in the following example:
       % folders +test
       Folder		# of messages (  range	); cur	msg  (other files)
       test+ has	  18 messages (   1-  18);	     (others).
       test/testone has    1 message  (   1-   1).
       test/testtwo has   no messages.

TOTAL=   19 messages in 3 folders.
       See for more details of sub-folders.

Options
       -fast
       -nofast	 Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information.  This is faster because the folders need not be read.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-list
       -nolist	 Lists the contents of the folder-stack.  No +folder argument is allowed with this option.

-pack
       -nopack	 Re-numbers messages in the folders.  Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps  in  the  numbering  are  removed.   The
		 default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder.

-pop	 Discards  the	top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value.  No +folder argument is allowed with this
		 option.  This corresponds to the operation in the C-shell; see The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occur-
		 rence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other.

-push	 Pushes  the  current  folder  onto  the  folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder.  If +folder is not
		 given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged.  This corresponds to the operation in the  C-shell;  see
		 The  -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence
		 of the other.

-recurse
       -norecurse
		 Lists folders recursively.  Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any  sub-folders  which  it  con-
		 tains.

-total
       -nototal  Displays  only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory.  This option does not print any information about
		 individual folders.  It can be suppressed using the -nototal option.

The defaults for are:

+folder defaults to all
	      msg defaults to none
	      -nofast
	      -noheader
	      -nototal
	      -nopack
	      -norecurse

Restrictions
       MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory.

Profile Components
       Path:		 To determine your MH directory
       Folder-Protect:	 To set protections when creating a new folder
       Folder-Stack:	 To determine the folder stack
       lsproc:		 Program to list the contents of a folder

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       csh(1), folder(1mh), refile(1mh), mhpath(1mh)

folders(1mh)