Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files to match file list pattern Post 302975153 by Aia on Wednesday 8th of June 2016 08:42:33 PM
Old 06-08-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Mayhap sth. along this line (untested):

Code:
while read old_id new_id
  do    (cd $old_id
         for FN in ${old_id}_hello*
           do   echo mv "$FN" "${FN/${old_id]/${new_id}}"
           done 
        )
  done < pattern.txt

Test it and remove the echo if happy with the result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxdorney
All posted is not working.
@Yoda can you make your script not specific to 2 folder, because we have thousand of folders.

@Rudic

when I run your script I got error message:
./test1.sh: line 4: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
./test1.sh: line 8: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Thanks very much.
Substitute the highlighted `]' for a `}'

Please, remember that the ultimate goal is for you to learn how to make that change that you are asking Yoda to do for you. Instead, you could ask: Is this the way I should change your code to not be specific to 2 folders? Then, you post what you have tried!

Last edited by Aia; 06-08-2016 at 09:49 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files after internal search pattern

Hello all I am trying to do a script that would allow me to mass rename files after a grep search within them. They are XML files and the pattern I would like to append to the file name is easy to find (e.g. <filename>foo</filename>), but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK match $1 $2 pattern in file 1 to $1 $2 pattern in file2

Hi, I have 2 files that I have modified to basically match each other, however I want to determine what (if any) line in file 1 does not exist in file 2. I need to match column $1 and $2 as a single string in file1 to $1 and $2 in file2 as these two columns create a match. I'm stuck in an AWK... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files that do not match pattern

Hi all, I do not have programming experience and mostly use one-liner or sometimes more to get the job done. I am having problem to batch rename the files that do not match a particular pattern. Sample file-names from directory: Meeting_Packages.pdf 13_textfile0 19_textfile0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using partial match to another

In the below I am trying to rename the contents within each data subfolder in a specific run, based on a partial match of the IonCode_0000_ in each file in the data subdirectory to $1 in f1. There will be multiple runs in f1 but each run in $uniq is unique and will be found in f1 and the rename... (27 Replies)
27 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)