Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Losing carriage return (X0D) after running awk command Post 302975056 by pchang on Tuesday 7th of June 2016 02:26:23 PM
Old 06-07-2016
GNU Awk 4.1.1, API: 1.1 (GNU MPFR 3.1.2, GNU MP 6.0.0)
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2014 Free Software Foundation.

CYGWIN_NT-6.3 STCTQAINFAPP52 1.8.6-2(0.280/5/3) 2014-11-07 09:47 x86_64 Cygwin - I'm actually running Cygwin (Unix emulation) on Windows.

I have attached a picture of the data before/after running the awk command.

Thank you.
Losing carriage return (X0D) after running awk command-awk_file_changejpg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return on long awk operation

hello all I have long awk function that doing manipulations on text file but when I write the out put to new text file I have carriage return between 2 print commands How can I avoid this ? Here is my awk : echo $f | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl command to supply a carriage return

I have a java program that runs on a unix server that prompts the user for input and provides a default value to the user. So it does something like this: Enter source server name <source_server_name>: Enter target server name <target_server_name>: I just hit enter to take the default... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: progkcp
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing hex characters '\x0D' with '\x0D\x0A'

Hello All, I have a requirement where I need to replaced the hex character - '\x0D' with 2 hex characters - 'x0D' & 'x0A' I am trying to use SED - But somehow its not working. Any pointers? Also the hex character '\x0D' can occur anywhere in the line. Can this also be accomplished... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

refine awk command in replacing carriage return

Hi, need your help in below,I have 4 types of file need to be processed so that it will replace carriage return in Remarks column with <:::> Remarks column position may varies in different types of file. sample file: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|Remarks|col9|col10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search_Replace with a Carriage Return

Hey folks, I've been working on this for some time. Seems simple, but I'm stumped. I need the following data format: New_York:Commercial Geology Geophysics Petrophysics Production_Engineering Reservoir_Engineering Pasadena:Commercial ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. There are around 700 columns in the file. The 65th column has carriage return which is causing read issue with our ETL process. I would like to replace the new line characters in 65th field with "nothing" i have return the following code and need help to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies
File::Spec::Cygwin(3pm) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   File::Spec::Cygwin(3pm)

NAME
File::Spec::Cygwin - methods for Cygwin file specs SYNOPSIS
require File::Spec::Cygwin; # Done internally by File::Spec if needed DESCRIPTION
See File::Spec and File::Spec::Unix. This package overrides the implementation of these methods, not the semantics. This module is still in beta. Cygwin-knowledgeable folks are invited to offer patches and suggestions. canonpath Any "" (backslashes) are converted to "/" (forward slashes), and then File::Spec::Unix canonpath() is called on the result. file_name_is_absolute True is returned if the file name begins with "drive_letter:", and if not, File::Spec::Unix file_name_is_absolute() is called. tmpdir (override) Returns a string representation of the first existing directory from the following list: $ENV{TMPDIR} /tmp $ENV{'TMP'} $ENV{'TEMP'} C:/temp Since Perl 5.8.0, if running under taint mode, and if the environment variables are tainted, they are not used. case_tolerant Override Unix. Cygwin case-tolerance depends on managed mount settings and as with MsWin32 on GetVolumeInformation() $ouFsFlags == FS_CASE_SENSITIVE, indicating the case significance when comparing file specifications. Default: 1 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004,2007 by the Perl 5 Porters. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 File::Spec::Cygwin(3pm)