Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple conditions in IF
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple conditions in IF Post 302974993 by xeccc5z on Tuesday 7th of June 2016 02:05:30 AM
Old 06-07-2016
Linux Multiple conditions in IF

Fellas,

Am new to unix os/ and here the situation , I am trying to write multiple condition statement inside if but it throws me a error

here is my piece of code ,
Code:
if [ [ $file1 ne " " ] ] && [ [ $file2 ne " " ] ] && [[ $file3 ne " " ] ]
then 
commands
fi

error : line 15 : [ : missing `]`

can someone please advise me how to fix it

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Added code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple conditions in if statements

Hi all, I'm confused about the proper syntax for multi-conditional if then statements. I'm trying to set limitations on info input on the command line.. i.e. if ] ;then $x=$vr1 else print "You have entered an invalid option." Can someone please clue me in on what is wrong with my syntax;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tim mauger
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple conditions in if/then

Hello, I am having trouble with the syntax with a conditional statement in a BASH script involving multiple conditions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! if ; then array=("${array}" "$dnNum" ) fi i receive this error: ./testscript: ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple if conditions

Guys, Im trying to have a script that evaluates multiple conditions : test.sh: if then echo "host $1" else if then echo "host $1" else echo $1 not valid exit 1 fi when I do ./test.sh brazil1 I get: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding multiple conditions

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. Can any one say what is wrong in this if statement, that uses multiple conditions if then *************** else if ( -z $pcs && "$night_time_calc" > "$night_time" ) then ******************************** ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssenthilkumar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

specifying multiple conditions in AWK

how can i specify more than 1 consition in the following AWK statament?? i.e. if $2 is ABCD and $3 is MNOP and $4 is KLPM similarly for OR #!/bin/ksh awk -F '' ' $2 == "ABCD" { print $2, $3;}' file.xml (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple conditions in 'if clause'

Hi, When i use the below code snippet in my shell script OFC_10.sh: if then echo "Success" exit 2 elif then echo "Failure" exit 6 I get the error message: ./OFC_10.sh: line 41: ' ./OFC_10.sh: line 45: ' Line 41 is the line where If loop starts and line 45 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested if with multiple conditions

Deal Experts I am working on a script to find a date which is 7 days older and follwoing is my approach #!/bin/sh Yr=`date +"%Y"` Mn=`date +"%m"` Md=28 Da=`date +"%d"` echo $Yr echo $Mn echo $Da var1=$Yr$Mn$Da echo "before" $var1 if expr $Da > 7 then Da=`expr $Da - 7`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetnsourabh
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If + multiple conditions

Hello Unix-Forums! It has been a long time since my last post, but finally I've got a new question: I know in case you can use multiple patterns by case $var in a|b|c|ab) and so on. But how would I place an OR between if ] then ... if ] then ... I want to execute the "..." if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logic for multiple if conditions.

Hi Gurus, Is there a way we can set a logic for this problem ? The input file looks like below; 1 15 17 2 8 12 3 18 24 4 21 23 5 2 4 6 11 25 So, I would like to print for any row of the input file where the range of value between $2 to $3 lies within the min and max values of Min=10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple If conditions

I am analyzing one of the scripts written by another person.script is having multiple if conditions and everything are nested.The code is not formatted properly.Is there any way to identify in Unix to identify begin and end of a particular if block? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
6 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh *shift [n] ksh +shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not specified, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this manual page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ksh93 shift is a shell special built-in that shifts the positional parameters to the left by the number of places defined by n, or 1 if n is omitted. The number of positional parameters remaining is reduced by the number of places that are shifted. If n is specified, it is evaluated as an arithmetic expression to determine the number of places to shift. It is an error to shift more than the number of positional parameters or a negative number of places. The following exit values are returned by shift in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. The positional parameters were successfully shifted. >0 An error occurred. On this manual page, ksh93(1) commands that are preceded by one or two + are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. They are not valid function names. 5. Words, following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shift(1)