Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using sed inside shellscript
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed inside shellscript Post 302974586 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 1st of June 2016 05:44:46 AM
Old 06-01-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamp
Hi All,
I am trying to use sed command inside a shell script.
The same sed command is working on command line, however its not working while using inside a shell script.
From various sources i found , it could be done by using -i option, but its not working as well.
Code:
sed 's/something/otherone/g' inputfile

its working perfectly filne while using on command line.
Code:
#! /bin/ksh
sed 's/something/otherone/g' inputfile
#/usr/bin/sed 's/something/otherone/g' inputfile
#/usr/bin/sed 's/something/otherone/g' full/path/inputfile

Tried using absolute path of sed, and inputfile but still its not working.
ANy pointer on this please.
NOTE: I am using SunOS
Thanks
Goutam
Hello gotamp,

If I am seeing it correctly you have space in between #! and /bin/ksh in your shebang, try without the space as #!/bin/ksh and let me know how it goes then.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable inside 'sed'

Dear all, How can I amend the following command to use variable inside 'sed' ? str=`sed -e 's/orig_string/${var}/g' ${sourcefile}` Thanks, Rocky (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Problem in Shellscript

Hi, i have a problem with sed i want to substitude a / to ",""," in the following pattern: number/number so if u have a file which contains -> "Streetname 9/8/6" it shouldn't substitude anything, only if it is "Streetname 9/6" to "Streetname 9","","6". Maybe you can help me, i try so many... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urukai
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED inside while loop

Hi, im having problem creating a loop using my code: aside from the fact that the 1st variable (VAR) does not increment, it loops more than the expected output. for sample purposes, test csv contains 3 lines. #get number of lines in the file lines=$( wc -l < test.csv ) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paoie
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using sed inside the loop.

Hi, i have written a script. it collects data based on the sql queries executed by it. i have multiple output files. after the output file is made i need to do some cosmetic changes in the files and then store them. i am unable to use sed conditions inside the loop. see below code for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dazdseg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline between two string with sed command in unix shellscript

I have a file (test.dat) which contains data like this 459|199811047|a |b |shan kar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |bv |gur u|cbe| but I need it like: 459|199811047|a |b |shankar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |b |guru|cbe| While reading the data from this file, I don't want to remove newline from the end of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcrshankar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed inside sed for replacing string

My need is : Want to change docBase="/something/something/something" to docBase="/only/this/path/for/all/files" I have some (about 250 files)xml files. In FileOne it contains <Context path="/PPP" displayName="PPP" docBase="/home/me/documents" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable inside sed

Problem: Need to read contents from a file and use that value inside sed as avariable. sample code below. THe below code replaces contents inside file123 for matched string with "$x" value only. but we want the value of x which is read from TextFile.txt to go in there. cat TextFile.txt|while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvsanthosh
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed inside awk

What I want to do is delete everything upto the last underscore (_) in column 2. awk '{ $2=$(echo $2 | sed 's/.*_//'); print $0}' Sed works fine if I echo the string into it, this doesnt work inside awk. What am I doing wrong? Similarly, how do I store the substring starting with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array inside sed

Hi guys Let me at first describe the whole thing that I'm trying to do. Lets say I have 100 files like the following one. Ow 1230 16.000000 -0.834000 16.083957 1.751652398 -17.20094528 -4.450623277 Hw 1231 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of sed inside perl

$string="test.binary.value"; $toggle="test.binary.value=true"; host=test.server.com my $returnCode = system ( "ssh $host 'cp -p /tmp/testfile /tmp/testfile.bkup; sed -i 's/\$string.*/\$toggle/g' /tmp/testfile'" ); cat testfile test.binary.value=false Scenario: I am trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)