Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to loop command over folders in a directory? Post 302974467 by azurite on Tuesday 31st of May 2016 01:25:46 AM
Old 05-31-2016
How to loop command over folders in a directory?

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to scripting so please bear with me. I will try to explain as best as I can but if there's anything that is not clear, please let me know.

I have a directory (see below) with numerous folders and within each of those folders are various files. I would like to run a script that will go into each folder and then select the specified files and then repeat this process for all the folders that are in a given directory. Here is an example of how the path is set up:

The folders contain multiple files with various extensions. I would like the script to go into random#1 folder, look for the specified files, execute the command, and then move onto random#2 folder and do the same.

Inside each folder are the following files:

I have the following script that only works on one specific type of file inside each folder but I need to write a new one that works on specified files (above) located inside each folder in the directory.

How can I make it so that I can replace the above to make a list of all the folders and then run a script that goes inside each folder and looks for the specified files?

Basically, I need the script to go into the directory, into the subdirectory, into the folders, and look for specified files in those folders. And repeat for every folder there is.

I have exhausted all options of self-teaching/experimenting to figure this out on my own and therefore, I'm hoping I can find some solution here.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by azurite; 06-15-2016 at 12:46 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to loop around folders

I have a folder called {homedata} Within this folder there are 12 subfolders 200601.......200612 Within each subfolder there are 8 sets of files Each filename commences with A B C D E F G or H, so {filename}* can be used. I am trying to write a script which will from the top level go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grinder182533
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend name of directory to children folders

Hi, I am a shell scripting newbie. I am in need of a shell script that will prepend the name of the parent directory to the child directory. For example if the shell script called rename.sh is invoked with ">rename.sh /home/foobar/Simple" and the structure of the folder Simple is : Simple... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalichar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help modifying script to loop through all folders

I have this script someone very kindly help me write last year which loops through all files in a folder and does a command. I need to modify it to loop through all sub-folders of a main folder and only perform the command on files modified after Jan 1st 2008. And I need the command to place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through folders and open them

Well the title says it all. I need a loop script that directs to a folder and opens a bash file. I just found out about loop files the other day and yeah, dont know if that can be done. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoopy817
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop folders, delete files, copy new ones

Folks, I am hopeful that you may be able to help me out with writing a script that can be run nightly (as cron?) to loop through all subfolders within the "/media" directory, delete all of the files in each of them, and then copy in all of the files from the "/home//sansa" directory to each of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acraig
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of folders in a Directory

Help Needed ! Can we count number of folders of specific date in a directory, even if directory has folders of different dates. Please reply as soon as possible. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_215
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash directory loop, but only choose those folders with specific word in it

Hello, how in bash i can get directory loop, but only choose those folders with specific word in it, so it will only echo those with specific word #!/bin/bash for filename in /home/test/* do if ; then echo $filename; fithx! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop through the folders and search for particular string in files

Hello, Opearting System Environment : HP Unix B.11.31 U I look for script to On specific folders list On specific filelist Search for given string For Example : r48_buildlib.txt contains wpr480.0_20161027 wpr480.0_20161114 wpr481.0_20161208 wpr482.0_20161222... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to loop through folders and execute an existing python script.

I am trying to loop through lots and lots of folders and use the names of the folders to run a Python script which has parameters. E.g. -- setup_refs -n John -f England/London/Hackney/John -c con/con.cnf Normally to run `setup_refs` once from command line it's: `python setup_refs.py -n John... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Keystrokes
3 Replies
refile(1mh)															       refile(1mh)

Name
       refile - file message in other folders

Syntax
       refile [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       Use  the  command to move the specified message from the current folder to another folder.  You can refile messages in more than one folder
       by giving multiple folder names as arguments.

If you do not specify a message, the current message is refiled.  You can refile a message other than the current  message  by  giving  its
       number  as  a msgs argument.  You can also refile more than one message at a time by specifying more than one message number, or a range of
       message numbers, or a message sequence.	See for more information on sequences.

The current folder remains the same unless the -src option is specified; in that case, the source folder becomes  current.   Normally,  the
       last message specified becomes the current message.  However, if the -link option is used, the current message is not changed.

If  the	Previous-Sequence:  entry is set in the file, in addition to defining the named sequences from the source folder, will also define
       those sequences for the destination folders.  See for information concerning the previous sequence.

Options
       -draft	 Refiles the draft message, or the current message in your folder, if you have one set up.  You cannot give a msgs  argument  when
		 you use this option.

-file filename
		 Moves	a  file into a folder.	This option takes a file from its directory and places it in the named folder, as the next message
		 in the folder.  The file must be formatted as a legal mail message.  This means that the message must	have  the  minimum  header
		 fields separated from the body of the message by a blank line or a line of dashes.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-link
       -nolink	 Keeps	a copy of the message in the source folder.  Normally, removes the messages from the original folder when it refiles them.
		 The -link option keeps a copy in the original folder, as well as filing a copy in the new folder.

-preserve
       -nopreserve
		 Preserves the number of a message in the new folder.  Normally, when a message is refiled in to another folder, it is set to  the
		 next  available number in that folder.  The -preserve option keeps the number of the message the same in the new folder as it had
		 been in the old.

You cannot have two messages with the same number in one folder, so you should use this option with care.

-src +folder
		 Specifies the source folder to take messages from.  Normally, messages are refiled from the current folder into  another  folder.
		 However, you can take messages from a different folder by using the -src +folder option to specify the alternative source folder.

Examples
       The following example refiles messages 3 and 5 in the folder
       % refile 3 5 +records

The next example files the current message into two folders:
       % refile +jones +map

The next example takes message 13 in the current folder and refiles it in the folder.  The message remains in the current folder as well as
       appearing in the folder.
       % refile -link 13 +test

The next example takes a message from the folder when it is not the current folder, and places it in the folder
       % refile 3 -src +test +outbox

Profile Components
       Path:		 To determine your Mail directory

Folder-Protect:	 To set protections when creating a new folder
       rmmproc: 	 Program to delete the message

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       folder(1mh), mark(1mh), mh_profile(5mh)

refile(1mh)